HIV Meds DR

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
Does anyone know the state of HIV meds in DR...specifically if people have access to Atripla? I may be able to donate about six months worth of the meds (unopened) and would like to to find out some information on clinics in Santo Domingo that I could visit while there.

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
I'm still looking for this info and the clinic that serves the HIV population in SD. Another question, does the government pay for peoples' HIV drugs in DR? P. If they could use the six month supply of Atripla I will donate it.

cuas

May 29, 2006
A few years ago I had the idea to collect HIV medication to send to SD but I did not want any body to benefit ($) from it. Through a friend I found out that in the parte oriental nuns of a church on the San Vicente de Paul help people with aids. They visit them regularly and help the family.
I work as a casemanager with a the HIV population for the City of NY and it hurts when you visit them and find out that they are not taking their medication (just because-it makes me sick-denial, etc) so much needed in poor countries.
My plan did not go through because a union rep. told me I can be fired if found out that I am getting medications from the clients because of confidentiality and medicaid fraud.
My friend lives now also in NY but I can ask her to find out how you can contact the nuns. Please let me know.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
The dominican government entity that deals with HIV is DIGECITSS (Direccion General de Control de Infecciones de Transmision Sexua y SIDA). From what I understand, the problem is not availibilty of medication but adherence. I doubt DIGECITSS would take a donation but they might be able to direct you to some NGOs/missions that provide meds and might need it.

At the very least, DIGECITSS can provide a list of the gov't UAI (unidad de antencion primaria) that do the HIV/AIDS treatment and care. In general, the clinics are very well funded thanks to the CLinton FOundation.