United Fruit Company

Caz

May 15, 2004
I am very interested the history of banana growing in the area, and the United Fruit Company who I believe shipped out of Puerto Plata.

I am looking for books on the topic, and in particular
Conquest of the Tropics by Frederick Upton Adams and
Bananas: How the United Fruit Company changed the World.

If anybody knows where I could obtain or borrow these books, or others on this topic, I would be very grateful.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks everybody - the wiki is very helpful and Amazon has a few books on the topic - just have to bite the bullet and ship them in.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
La United Fruit Co, Pablo Neruda

Cuando son? la trompeta, estuvo
todo preparado en la tierra,
y Jehov? reparti? el mundo
a Coca-Cola Inc., Anaconda,
Ford Motors, y otras entidades :
la Compa??a Frutera Inc.
se reserv? lo m?s jugoso,
la costa central de mi tierra,
la dulce cintura de Am?rica.
Bautiz? de nuevo sus tierras
como "Rep?blicas Bananas",
y sobre los muertos dormidos,
sobre los h?roes inquietos
que conquistaron la grandeza,
la libertad y las banderas,
estableci? la ?pera bufa :
enajen? los albedr?os,
regal? coronas de C?sar,
desenvain? la envidia, atrajo
la dictadura de las moscas,
moscas Trujillos, moscas Tachos,
moscas Car?as, moscas Mart?nez,
moscas Ubico, moscas h?medas
de sangre humilde y mermelada,
moscas borrachas que zumban
sobre las tumbas populares,
moscas de circo, sabias moscas
entendidas en tiran?a.
Entre las moscas sanguinarias
la Frutera desembarca,
arrasando el caf? y las frutas,
en sus barcos que deslizaron
como bandejas el tesoro
de nuestras tierras sumergidas.
Mientras tanto, por los abismos
azucarados de los puertos,
ca?an indios sepultados
en el vapor de la ma?ana :
un cuerpo rueda, una cosa
sin nombre, un n?mero ca?do,
un racimo de fruta muerta
derramada en el pudridero.

Pablo Neruda Poeta chileno(1904-1973).Canto General( 1950 ) Premio Nobel de Literatura (1971)

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
La United Fruit Co, Pablo Neruda

Cuando son? la trompeta, estuvo
todo preparado en la tierra,
y Jehov? reparti? el mundo
a Coca-Cola Inc., Anaconda,
Ford Motors, y otras entidades :
la Compa??a Frutera Inc.
se reserv? lo m?s jugoso,
la costa central de mi tierra,
la dulce cintura de Am?rica.
Bautiz? de nuevo sus tierras
como "Rep?blicas Bananas",
y sobre los muertos dormidos,
sobre los h?roes inquietos
que conquistaron la grandeza,
la libertad y las banderas,
estableci? la ?pera bufa :
enajen? los albedr?os,
regal? coronas de C?sar,
desenvain? la envidia, atrajo
la dictadura de las moscas,
moscas Trujillos, moscas Tachos,
moscas Car?as, moscas Mart?nez,
moscas Ubico, moscas h?medas
de sangre humilde y mermelada,
moscas borrachas que zumban
sobre las tumbas populares,
moscas de circo, sabias moscas
entendidas en tiran?a.
Entre las moscas sanguinarias
la Frutera desembarca,
arrasando el caf? y las frutas,
en sus barcos que deslizaron
como bandejas el tesoro
de nuestras tierras sumergidas.
Mientras tanto, por los abismos
azucarados de los puertos,
ca?an indios sepultados
en el vapor de la ma?ana :
un cuerpo rueda, una cosa
sin nombre, un n?mero ca?do,
un racimo de fruta muerta
derramada en el pudridero.

Pablo Neruda Poeta chileno(1904-1973).Canto General( 1950 ) Premio Nobel de Literatura (1971)

Thanks Chiri, for sharing that Neruda poem. I was reading it just the other day. Coincidence?

Caz

May 15, 2004
I have a friend in NJ who has offered to loan me a selection of books on UFC - one praising them, one villifying them and one written by an ex-employee giving an insiders view. Should be fascinating reading.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Caz,
In regards to the United Fruit Company:
I was once told that the La Roca Restaurant in Sosua was at one time warehouse (early 1900's)for the United Fruit Company and that the bananas from their plantation , fruits and such were moved down to the beach access from there possibly by cars on a track or wagons to where the remains of the old dock are (Just the cement columns now) and loaded on small boats and taken out to the large boats beyond the reef. The United Fruit Company abandoned their Banana plantation here and turned the lands over to the Dominican Republic Settlement Association (DORSA) in 1939.
I also have heard recently that the La Roca building is/was supposed to be a protected historic building BUT many changes have been allowed to be made in it and that the owner (not Kiwi John the restaurant manager) will soon be building studios or apts inside or in place of that building which I supposed would make it no longer a historic spot.

track

Sep 6, 2008
Caz,
In regards to the United Fruit Company:
I was once told that the La Roca Restaurant in Sosua was at one time warehouse (early 1900's)for the United Fruit Company and that the bananas from their plantation , fruits and such were moved down to the beach access from there possibly by cars on a track or wagons to where the remains of the old dock are (Just the cement columns now) and loaded on small boats and taken out to the large boats beyond the reef. The United Fruit Company abandoned their Banana plantation here and turned the lands over to the Dominican Republic Settlement Association (DORSA) in 1939.
I also have heard recently that the La Roca building is/was supposed to be a protected historic building BUT many changes have been allowed to be made in it and that the owner (not Kiwi John the restaurant manager) will soon be building studios or apts inside or in place of that building which I supposed would make it no longer a historic spot.

When I read history or comments like this I always think when I will die and pass on to history for people to make comments like this.:paranoid:

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks for the info James - I heard that the warehouse that is now La Roca, was one of the few buildings left standing in Sosua after the tsunami in the 40's or early 50's.

Track - could you explain please?

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
I am very interested the history of banana growing

I am looking for books on the topic,

If anybody knows where I could obtain or borrow these books, or others on this topic, I would be very grateful.
:bunny: Here is one From the West indies;)

bananaboat.jpg

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Victorian House

The literature for Victorian House in Sosua says their main lobby building was the headquarters building for the United Fruit Company.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks Joe. Drtampa - I was just in the Victorian House last night and will ask them next time I go.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
The Victorian House Hotel is a boutique hotel, part of a charming Victorian Plantation House, built in the 1900's by the United Fruit Company of Florida, overlooking the crystal clear waters of Sosua Bay. The Hotel has all the charm, tranquility and ambiance of the Caribbean, in a unique setting. Be in touch with the Dominican people living in the town and the small villages that surround the area. Dine a-la-carte at one of the fine restaurants in the Hotel, or at one of the many restaurants in town.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Caz,
The United Fruit Company abandoned their Banana plantation here and turned the lands over to the Dominican Republic Settlement Association (DORSA) in 1939.

Abandoned... or the lease was not renewed with United and the land was SOLD to DORSA (funded by Jewish families in NY to resettle Jews from Europe)?. You're right about the boats in Sosua harbour. On the walls of La Roca, you can see some old B&W of some rather large boats in the bay. Fascinating history.

If you're way up on the El Choco rd (4km+ up), you can still see signs of the escarpment of the railway that brought the crops from the hills down to Sosua harbour.