Haitian paintings deterioration in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

genie38

Sep 3, 2008
Hello,
I'll be returning to Florida shortly and would like to bring one or two, of those Haitian paintings sold at the beach, back home. Has anyone had any problems with the paintings deteriorating or peeling in the U.S. environment? F.J.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
The quality of your painting depend on the cind of canvis and quality of paint that you used.
Over all i had some haitian painting that i purchased on the street of Port-au-Prince (haiti) for less than USA $5 and 10 years ago , and they are doing just fine. a coat of wax sealer might help the longevity of your art ,i am almost certain that your haitian painting will out live you by a long shot (+/- 100 years).
Their painting are impressive , are they?

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
No Problems

We have a couple Haitan paintings here in "harsh" Canada. No problemo !!:glasses:

genie38

Sep 3, 2008
Paintings deterioration in the U.S. Climate/Temperature

Is the climate & temperature of Florida very different to that of the DR?

Being this is my first time here I think that the weather is quite similar at this time but for some reason, the nights are cooler here.
For the most part, people will have A.C. in Southwest Florida May through October or November due to the comfort level desired, heat and high humidity. During the dry, cool season, some people will 'open the house' frequently and several times in December and January there may actually be a frost inland requiring the heater. 34 degrees is serious cold for many of us here. Fungus in the ventilation system is a big problem in parts of Florida as well.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have several of of those "Velvet Elvis" paint by number works in my home and they have withstood the extreme weather conditions here in Nome, Alaska for several years so far.

Make sure you negotiate with the artist, they can be purchased for much less than what they ask for, you should be able to get two for 1/2 the asking price.

t'

theman

Aug 25, 2008
No problem at all, I have many at home. Some I bought 10 years ago in Haiti. Just make sure you dont pay too much, at the beach they will try to rip you off . Dont pay more then 30$US, and for that price, you can have a huge one.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think they are about rd 800 in the cabarete liquidation store for a large one and they dont hastle you.....I find them useful to brighten a large white wall but not a lot of merit as art

johnosmond

Oct 30, 2007
We have purchased several paintings from the DR and they have held up well. I suggest you do NOT take them off the frame since it was VERY COSTLY to have them reframed back in the U.S.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Frames

We have purchased several paintings from the DR and they have held up well. I suggest you do NOT take them off the frame since it was VERY COSTLY to have them reframed back in the U.S.

I bought a couple paintings but customs at the pop airport made me discard the frames. And you're right, it ain't cheap to have them reframed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.