Blood Banks on North Cost

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Obtaining blood when somebody needs a transfusion is difficult for those of us on the North Coast. Especially for those of us who don't have an extended family or large circle of friends. And even those who do have trouble rounding up enough people with the specific blood type you need, and who are free of infection or whose blood doesn't have other problems that would cause the lab to reject it, assuming it is tested (which you hope it will be) before putting it into a patients veins.

There is no blood bank in Sosua or Puerto Plata. Two blood banks in Santiago that I had experience with and can recommend are Los Jardines, 809-582-6171, and Homobanco, 809-247-4891.

I purchased nearly 20 pints from these two sources, all of which were tested by the lab at Homs Hospital in Santiago. Only 2 of the pints had to be returned becasue they did not meet the hospital's standards, and both were replaced with pints that did.

The current price is RD$2000 per pint. Plasma and other blood products are also available.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know. All I know is that one of the reasons that Barbara was transferred to Homs from Bournigal (which I am glad she was and wish it had been done sooner) was because blood was not available in Puerto Plata but was in Santiago.