Banco Popular

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My bank reported that someone tried to make a fradulant purchase over the internet using my atm card number. This was very shortly after I used the card to get cash out of an atm machine inside a Banco Popular branch in Santo Domingo. I don't know if the two are related but my gut is begining to tell me that the Dominican operations of Banco Popular are not to be trusted.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
My bank reported that someone tried to make a fradulant purchase over the internet using my atm card number. This was very shortly after I used the card to get cash out of an atm machine inside a Banco Popular branch in Santo Domingo. I don't know if the two are related but my gut is begining to tell me that the Dominican operations of Banco Popular are not to be trusted.

It may not be the bank but a criminal gang that place a device over the ATM machine that skims your cards magnetic strip.

Often they will place a tiny camera in a box of brochures that are located inside the cubicle if you will to capture your PIN #

Always inspect the ATM insert slot to see if another device has been plaxced over the original and put your other hand over the keypad so no one can see your PIN

This fraud is world wide

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
indeed this happened to me at the sosua branch- my card was cloned by a device....wierd that there is always a guard there but they never see anyone tamper with the machine hmmmmm

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I am well aware of that scam. The machine was inside the bank and it was during business hours. I was also carefull to collect my reciept. My feeling is that someone within the banking orginization (an employee) is somehow accessing the info and selling it.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I have a small suggestion... This is very true that it is world wide so one should be careful everywhere... I usually place my hand over the key pad to shield my pin from any camaras or lurkers>> Its a little strange at first but it has become habit for me.
God it was caught before the charges were made.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I went to the bank, put my card in the atm, entered my pin, got my cash, took my receipt, and left. No problems. What was weird was that later someone tried to use my card number (not pin#) to make an internet purchase. I don't have any info about that transaction because my banks fraud dept.refused the purchase and cancelled my card before I was even notified. It all smells of an inside job to me.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
The experience should, if anything at all, make you aware that Banco Popular is proactive in avoiding fraudulent transactions that would affect clients accounts. I know of a recent case, here in Puerto Rico, where a colleague's bank account was cleaned out. He lost thousands of dollars. The bank eventually reinbursed him, but only after many months of investigations and paperwork. Banco Popular seems to be watching out for their own.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
Here?s my story, and it was an inside job. I used BHD?s ATM machine at Bella Vista Mall in SD, to retrieve cash from my BOA account. However, after the ?take your cash? prompt, no cash was produced, and the screen went back to welcome. I immediately walked inside the BHD branch, and noticed that the door behind the ATM machine was opened and was obviously being serviced. I complained to one of the client service personnel and was told that I had to take a numbered ticket and wait in line to lodge a complaint. I didn't want to wait, so I walked over to the branch manager. She said my account was not with BHD so I had to lodge a complaint with BOA. She even suggested the possibility I was trying defraud the bank. Through the Malls? open WiFi, I checked with BOA, and my account had been debited the amount. Later that day, I told the story to a relative, and he said we had a close relative working in BHD?s main office in SD. He gave me the number. I called, and she referred me to BHD?s director of ATMs. I called this executive, who treated me with the epitome of kindness. She expressed sincere concern about my case, and promised an immediate investigation. She also said I did have to proceed through my own bank. Then I connected to BOA online and had a brief exchange through their chat feature. This resulted in BOA crediting my account for the amount, pending their own and BHDs investigation report.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I had the same problem as you did JR, but at banreserves, (where I have an account), the machine said take your cash and none came out, so my next transaction was request a balance and low and behold the money was taken out of the account..... went in later that week and made a complaint, and they did the paperwork to credit my account, seems like they knew they had a problem....but still waiting for the money to enter my account.... good idea to protect your pin # and always request a receipt

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I had the same thing happen to me at Banco Popular in Cabarete. Apparently a card reader stole my info and they cloned my card. Over the next three days, there was over 100 uses or attempted uses of my card. And yes, there was a guard sitting by the ATM. Banco Popular comes up way too consistantly in these scams for me to believe that they are making ANY effort to confront the issue. My bank at home reimbursed my losses. My bank made an attempt to recover the funds from Banco Popular and was basically told to "take a hike"