Kids of DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

sosua1

Sep 24, 2006
We are travelling in Dr in Jan for 2 weeks and we were wondering what types of gifts can we give the kids on an excursion trip? Gracias.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The usual suggestions are school supplies such as pencils, pencil sharpeners, notebooks, etc.

Whatever you do, please don't give the kids candy! They love it, of course, but their families can't afford dental care so the candy is really damaging to their teeth.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The usual suggestions are school supplies such as pencils, pencil sharpeners, notebooks, etc.

Whatever you do, please don't give the kids candy! They love it, of course, but their families can't afford dental care so the candy is really damaging to their teeth.

Good suggestions, and all items you can also buy here at reasonable prices.
So you don't really need to fly all that stuff in and by buying here, you could also leave a little but sensible "stimulus package" in this country.

... J-D.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua

Wrong! Candy has more smile maximizing potential than school supplies. And considering that a smile does wonders to your own health (and theirs), more than enough to offset potential damage to the recipient?s teeth, I highly recommend giving candy.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

Excellent suggestions! Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of giving to these kids knows it doesnt take much to elicit wonderful smiles when they are on the receiving end...even the simplest gift.
I remember one time a kid literally jumping for joy after I gave him a yo-yo.

And great point to avoid causing them cavities and childhood diabetes....not to mention that toys/school items stay around a bit longer than something that one consumes;)

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
You might want to consider a stop at Integracion Juvenil, the school for barrio kids just outside the employee entrance to Playa Dorada. From what we could see they are doing great work there with some of the poorest kids from Puerto Plata- and they can always use supplies!

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
You might want to consider a stop at Integracion Juvenil, the school for barrio kids just outside the employee entrance to Playa Dorada. From what we could see they are doing great work there with some of the poorest kids from Puerto Plata- and they can always use supplies!

I insist! Give the treats personally, while looking directly at the recipients eyes. Give what produces more smiles. Do not limit your gifts to a particular age group of kids, like school age or school-attending kids. Again, candy does not produce bad teeth or diabetes, poor higiene and health does. In such a case, you should consider distribuiting kits containing toothbrushes and paste...

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
If you are staying in Cabeza de Toro area, there is a small town, not sure the name of it( Mike F) might be able to help out with the name of it,within walking distance from the resorts, take a venture out and explore the town, not much to see, a few stores for souveniers , but the children there, really are in need and are so grateful with whatever they recieve.
These kids do not expect anything, i would much rather give to the people from a nearby town than the resort workers.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Wrong! Candy has more smile maximizing potential than school supplies. And considering that a smile does wonders to your own health (and theirs), more than enough to offset potential damage to the recipient?s teeth, I highly recommend giving candy.

I am sorry, but I stand by my suggestion. Part of my work here is to organize an extremely large dental clinic in Puerto Plata each June. We have had children no older than seven come to the clinic with what the dentists call "red mouth." Red mouth is a condition where EVERY tooth in the child's mouth has caries or needs extraction. It is therefore marked in red on the dental chart.

Candy, especially when the child does not have toothbrush and toothpaste for basic oral hygiene, is the last thing such a child needs.

Reactions: drloca

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i bring a selection of things. Yes...indeed...i bring some chinese milk candies (they are not overly sweet) and the kids love them. I've brought school supplies...but i give them directly to the school.

My friend has two kids and i bring the boy some action figures and the girl some glittery slippers. I bring lotions for his mom and for the maids.

All and all...i keep things SIMPLE. Things that people might not buy for themselves.

One tip about giving the kids things. Wait till the end of your vacation or else you will have some new friends for your entire visit.

I do also let the kids finish off my plate when i have breakfast or have lunch on the beach.

I do agree that small toys or the like would probably be better than candy.

as far as school supplies I've always been told to arrange that before hand with the school and make sure the supplies end up in the right hands or else they will probably be sold.

sosua1

Sep 24, 2006
Thank you all! I will be in the Puerta Plata at the Hacienda Tropical. I remember one year I had brought a couple of baseball gloves for the kids and man did they ever enjoy that. But school supplies is a great idea. Anyone knows a great shop around that area that I can purchase these supplies and encourage them also. Mucho Gracias....Daniel from Canada.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Wrong! Candy has more smile maximizing potential than school supplies. And considering that a smile does wonders to your own health (and theirs), more than enough to offset potential damage to the recipient’s teeth, I highly recommend giving candy.

Well, I don't want to be so presumtous as to call you "wrong!" back.
but let me try share my experience and then, maybe you... well what ever...

Sure, candy, sugar, sweets and fatty chocolaty treats will put a smile on most kids... even obese ones.
The fact however is, sweets is not really the most lacking thing in a Dominican kid's life... even a poor one's. We have sweet fruits many can pick for free at all seasons and then, if all fails, there's always sugar cane for that little carb rush.
Fact is, after the sugary treat is consumed, and hopefully the dental hygiene has followed, even if per chance there was no running water at that exact moment, the smile will fade and nothing good from it will be left, except the growing believe that Gringos come from a country which has lots'a sweets... which isn't necessarily untrue. But is that really the most needed message?
I think that some will still have the privilege to find out, that Dominican kids, especially poor ones, will reward most any attention given to them with a great big smile. They are not the spoiled brats from other countries, which take school supplies for granted and thus would find the gift of such articles utterly insulting.
At the end of the day, school supplies, intelligent toys and your TIME will leave a lasting and positive impression... including lots'a BIG smiles.

I insist! Give the treats personally, while looking directly at the recipients eyes. Give what produces more smiles. Do not limit your gifts to a particular age group of kids, like school age or school-attending kids.

I wholeheartedly agree.

But then:
Again, candy does not produce bad teeth or diabetes, poor higiene and health does. In such a case, you should consider distributing kits containing toothbrushes and paste...

OMG! :tired:
Sugar-diabetes, sugar-caries, a conspiracy theory?

Yes, please distribute bush and paste sets. Really! But don't offset your good deed with blessing kids here with nothing smarter than candy.
Try to share constructiveness when trying to make a difference when coming here form a more "developed" country.

... J-D.

Last edited:

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
J-D, I understand you wholeheartedly. However, the children I see mostly on my side of the island are beyond help. They belong to a subculture which the nearest term that I can think of is indigence, a state beyond poverty and need, where there's nothing you can do to help, just like the case of the terminally ill.

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
http://www.dominicandream.org/
WISH LIST

The following lists contain items needed for our DREAM sponsored schools and offices. Please note: Items must be hand-delivered to the DR. Remember, every donation helps!

Catalog Items:

Lakeshore Learning Materials Catalog

Items needed from Gonge Creative Learning start page

Mirror Game
Balancing Egg
The Throwing Game
Tactile Discs
Jelly Fish
Balancing Board

Current Needs (October 2008)

Small

Arts and Crafts Supplies

Cardboard
Tracing paper
Children?s scissors
Paper plates
Molding clay
Felt
Sequins
Beads
Yarn
Gimp
Glitter
Pipe cleaners
Stickers
Glue
Balloons
Painting easel
Water-based paint
Finger paint
Paint brushes
Fat crayons (easy grip for preschoolers)
Fat pencils (colored and regular)
Scotch tape
Classroom Basics

Children?s books in Creole
Spanish activity books
Big Teacher?s Books in Spanish
Notebooks
Printer paper
Permanent markers
Folders
3-ring binders
Chalk (colored and white)
Chalkboard erasers
Wall clock
Legos and Duplos
Dominos
Geoboards
Educational games in Spanish
Dice
Wooden puzzles
Writing paper for young children (thick lines with a space on top to draw pictures)
Dry erase markers
Pencil sharpeners that can be affixed to cement walls
Random

Sticky tack to hang posters on walls
World and classic music CDs
Kleenex
Mosquito repellant
Umbrellas
Children?s rain ponchos
Jump ropes
Hula hoops
Frisbees
Small, medium & large plastic tubs for storing supplies
Musical instruments
Children's toothbrushes & toothpaste
Giant size clock for community center
Video Camera
Q-Tips
Hand sanitizer
Triangle bandages
Elastic bandages

Medium*

Backpacks
Volleyball nets
Volleyballs
Basketball hoop
Soccer Cones
15-gallon inflatable pool
Video Camera
Yoga mats
Large*

Computers
Printers
Sewing Machines

DR Office

Ink for a Canon 40 printer: PC 940
3 ring binders
Film for a Polaroid One 600 Classic camera
Stapler and staples
Post-its
US Office

Ink for HP Deskjet 5740 (HP 94 & 95)
Photo paper
Stamps
8x10 frames

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thank you all! I will be in the Puerta Plata at the Hacienda Tropical. I remember one year I had brought a couple of baseball gloves for the kids and man did they ever enjoy that. But school supplies is a great idea. Anyone knows a great shop around that area that I can purchase these supplies and encourage them also. Mucho Gracias....Daniel from Canada.
Daniel,
I was not quite clear to me from your original post as to whether you would be making a personal excursion to see some youngsters (school or a local barrio area) or whether you intended issuing out your donantions whilst on an organised excursion by an excursion company (Jeep Safari or similar). IF the latter, it might be a good idea to contact the excursion company, check if they visit a school (or barrio) where things can be dropped off, what their normal requirements are & what manner do they organise for distribution to the children. You don't want to get school supplies if that excursion company doesn't visit a school on the journey round the campo!!!

If it IS a jeep safari (or similar) PLEASE do not take cany (menta) that most tourists will throw out of the jeep at children as they pass - apart from appearing most 'Imperious', this is also very dangerous as children have been known to jump out between the jeeps to retrieve a 'lost sweet'!! MANY excursion companies allow this sort of behaviour I am afraid, let YOUR actions be the ones that educate the tour guides into proper safety precautions AND human dignity!!

IF you are organising a PERSONAL trip solely for your family/group, then anything you take along will be greatly appreciated. I work with the aforementioned Integracion Juvenil which is just across the main road from your hotel. I have had quite a response from DR1 members this year & do NOT want to hog the "Goodies" available from this board (actually I DO :pirate: - I just think it wise to let a few other organisations have their opportunities too :ermm:) but if all other avenues fail, please contact me & I will
a) pick you up from the hotel & take you to some shops for inexpensive 'goody shopping'
b) show you some of the 'barrio' areas around town
c) take you to Integracion Juvenil & introduce you to the staff & children
d) drop you back to your hotel afterwards

I am limited to four passengers unless any children are happy to travel in the back of my jeepetta though!

You may find that if you visit some of your local stores & shops that some of them will make donations from discontinued stock - things they would put on sale or send back to the manufacturers - DONATIONS are good!!:cheeky:!!;)

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if all other opportunities fail ~ Grahame.

sosua1

Sep 24, 2006
That's great Grahame just what I was looking for gracias amigo. We are two adults travelling it is my 12th year at this resort and always looking to help the children of DR and It will be my girlfriend first time and she has a great spot in her heart for children. Please let me know how I can reach you once in Dr. Gracias again........Daniel

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Initially send me a PM telling me dates that you will be here - I'll need to check that school will be in session!! If it is NOT, I will try to arrange for a visit to a barrio area that will be safe & not get us mobbed by all the kids in the neighbourhood! ;) :surprised

Once we have made contact via PM (or e-mail) I can let you have my telephone number. ~ Grahame.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
J-D, I understand you wholeheartedly. However, the children I see mostly on my side of the island are beyond help. They belong to a subculture which the nearest term that I can think of is indigence, a state beyond poverty and need, where there's nothing you can do to help, just like the case of the terminally ill.

beyond help? please.
these are children we are talking about. it's pretty dismal to say there is nothing we can do to help them.

perhaps the problem with handing things out when you come for vacation. you say the kids are so appreciative and never expect anything. but i experience the opposite. the more tourists they see, the more they expect from them. and with no effort on their part!

there is plenty you can do to help them. but it is hard and takes more effort than throwing some candy or pencils their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.