Home Made Chocolate Chip Cookies

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
They are now selling toll house chocolate chips but I cannot find any brown sugar as the recipe must be followed exactly.

Does anyone know where they sell real brown sugar on the North Coast

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This should be available from any colmado or supermarket alongside the white sugar. Ask for 'azucar prieta'. Imported brown sugar like demerara is sometimes available from larger supermarkets in the baking products section (no North Coast specific info, sorry).

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
They are selling something called sugar natural that is light brown and I am wondering if I could substitute that.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Probably.

Brown sugar is just unrefined sugar with higher-than-normal molasses content in it. You should be fine.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Does anyone know where they sell real brown sugar on the North Coast

I buy my brown sugar in Tropical Supermarket, Puerto Plata, but as Chiri says any colmado or supermarket will have it. I've noticed that the colour can vary slightly depending on the batch. In Tropical it's called Azucar Crema & is a golden brown colour, not too dissimilar from the colour of sand. RD$20.50 for 2 lbs bag. Brown sugar in the DR is a lot lighter in colour than the demerara you might be used to.

Aug 21, 2007
Mike- if you add a little molasses (to taste) to white sugar or the light brown sugar you see in the store, you will have a flavor more like the brown sugar you might be used to from the U.S. I used the other without added molasses and the chocolate chip cookies were a disappointment- didn't taste the same.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
The azucar crema (prieta) is not the same as the brown sugar. I looked for brown sugar en La Romana, Casa de Campo, Higuey, El Cortecito, Santo Domingo (Plaza Lama) and never found it so I gave up a few years ago and always bring it from Canada.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks I have added real brown sugar to my list of things that are being flown in this week.....Hope they don't confiscate this as well !

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks I have added real brown sugar to my list of things that are being flown in this week.....Hope they don't confiscate this as well !

How did Customs find the ground sirloin?

Make sure to get dark brown sugar as they also have a light brown sugar.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
LOL, what airport?

POP.

I am doing another test run in two weeks.

This time we will hallow out baseball bats and put the ground sirloin inside.

I will say it is a gift to the children, compliments of A-Rod

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
POP.

I am doing another test run in two weeks.

This time we will hallow out baseball bats and put the ground sirloin inside.

I will say it is a gift to the children, compliments of A-Rod

Good Luck, now that is funny......

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
How did Customs find the ground sirloin?

I bet they found they had never tasted a better burger !!!!

You would think, but no.

When you grow up eating Mom's cooking or in this case 3rd world beef then that's what you are accustomed to and judge it accordingly.

I shared a canadian prime rib with some locals and they took one bite and said " this is not good beef "......fine by me.