Ground Sirloin....Confiscated

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
A friend just brought me some ground Sirloin but customs took it.

I have another shipment coming next week has anyone else had a problem with this.

What other food items can they take?

Feb 7, 2007
The customs guys did have a nice bbq this Sunday afternoon

... I mean he was stupid not to give them 200 or 300 pesos when they discovered it...

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
Actually phytosanitary enforcement at the borders is quite lacking in the DR, compared to other countries, including the US. Try to bring something uncooked through Miami airport, and expect to be treated like a drugtrafficker. You must be aware that the reason behing phytosanitary transborder control is to prevent the spreading of plagues and diseases, such as foot-and-mouth disease, classical swine fever, mad-cow disease, and many others.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Actually phytosanitary enforcement at the borders is quite lacking in the DR, compared to other countries, including the US. Try to bring something uncooked through Miami airport, and expect to be treated like a drugtrafficker. You must be aware that the reason behing phytosanitary transborder control is to prevent the spreading of plagues and diseases, such as foot-and-mouth disease, classical swine fever, mad-cow disease, and many others.

So true.
I did try to bring vacuum packed German Black Forest smoked ham into the States once. I was lucky, I declared it and asked if it was OK... Boy, did I start something there! Still, while I was not treated in a hostile manner, since I asked, but yet, after the confiscated it and threw it in a bin for potentially hazardous goods, they searched me and ALL my luggage.
They brought in sniffin' dawgs and I even jokingly offered for them to have the ham... but "nope", the ham had to be D E S T R O Y E D.
It may not make sense in individual cases, but I accept that there is only one way to limit the risk of spreading problems, and that way can certainly not include exceptions.

The lesson learned is, that as a general rule, you should NOT intent to bring plants, seeds, fruits, unprocessed foods, meats and so forth into ANY country, even if you come from the US.

Btw. you may tell your friend he can get quality ground meat from the Bavarian butcher in Sosua. They will show you or let you select the piece(s) you want ground.

... J-D.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
to prevent the spreading of plagues and diseases, such as foot-and-mouth disease, classical swine fever, mad-cow disease, and many others.

The true name (diagnosis) for the true desease (enfermedad) behind all this is - "Hysterical Paranoia Vulgarius".

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks,

If the next shipment does not get through ( bribe included ) I will go to the Playero and buy the U.S. rib and NY strip steaks and have the butcher grind them into burgers

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Mike I am soooo sorry that they took the beef from me. If I had pesos on me I would have given them some.

Sorry I didn't get the chance to say good bye. We will be back in Jan/Feb.

Talk soon
Erin

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

That would explain several of the posters on DR1. :cheeky:

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Flower Plan Bulbs!! Same Treatment!

I returned to the DR on 12nov08, thru the POP Airport. My luggage was searched; a "superior" officer from Customs found some flower bulbs;
* I had purchased them @ Wal-Marts for gifts for my DR girlfriend, who has a green thumb.
* All were in the original, small, separate, cellophane bags; all had labels with pictures & text indicating what the were.
* Result?
* Confiscated! Why? All fruits & vegetables are barred, per DR Customs Regulations; placed in the "to be destroyed" bin!
* A joke! Fruit? Vegetable?
* Flower seeds? Que viva la Republica!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I returned to the DR on 12nov08, thru the POP Airport. My luggage was searched; a "superior" officer from Customs found some flower bulbs;
* I had purchased them @ Wal-Marts for gifts for my DR girlfriend, who has a green thumb.
* All were in the original, small, separate, cellophane bags; all had labels with pictures & text indicating what the were.
* Result?
* Confiscated! Why? All fruits & vegetables are barred, per DR Customs Regulations; placed in the "to be destroyed" bin!
* A joke! Fruit? Vegetable?
* Flower seeds? Que viva la Republica!

Would be the exact same scenario if you had done it the other way around, bringing seeds, fruits or plants from another country INTO the US... and not just from the DR, but from ANY country. The only difference is, that if you had tried to sneak'em into the US, you could have spent some not so quality time... actually, loooong time answering stupid questions and being lectured at the airport's agricultural department offices and customs.
While I agree, that in personal cases it may all seem an overkill, and even if the DR is "just" a small 3rd world country, it seems, they reserve themselves the same right as any other country to protect their borders... at times, that is...

... J-D.

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
So true.
I did try to bring vacuum packed German Black Forest smoked ham into the States once. I was lucky, I declared it and asked if it was OK... Boy, did I start something there! Still, while I was not treated in a hostile manner, since I asked, but yet, after the confiscated it and threw it in a bin for potentially hazardous goods, they searched me and ALL my luggage.
They brought in sniffin' dawgs and I even jokingly offered for them to have the ham... but "nope", the ham had to be D E S T R O Y E D.
It may not make sense in individual cases, but I accept that there is only one way to limit the risk of spreading problems, and that way can certainly not include exceptions.

The lesson learned is, that as a general rule, you should NOT intent to bring plants, seeds, fruits, unprocessed foods, meats and so forth into ANY country, even if you come from the US.

Btw. you may tell your friend he can get quality ground meat from the Bavarian butcher in Sosua. They will show you or let you select the piece(s) you want ground.

... J-D.

Hmm... I wonder if frozen veggie burgers and veggie links are prohibited as well?:paranoid:

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Hey, when I travel back to the U.S. I never take anything just money and, my PASSPORT. I am always STOPPED. Why don't you have any, bags etc. I have to explain that I have clothes at my brothers house and, I am just trying to make it easy on myself. Now I bring a small carry on with a change of clothes. Just to avoid the hassle.