Survivors at Sea Eat Comrad...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
From today's news:

Survivors ate human flesh
In a separate incident, a group of 35 people that was lost at sea for 15 days had to eat one of their companions in order to survive, while one woman, one of five survivors, died in the hospital in Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos Islands. The information was revealed by Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia, through his spokesperson, journalist Rosanna Figueroa. According to Figueroa, Francisco Javier Garcia visited the hospital where the survivors are recovering, accompanied by Turks and Caicos Prime Minister Michael Misik, and they verified that the survivors are in good health, although they are dehydrated and their legs are swollen. According to Diario Libre, Figueroa said that the Minister of Tourism communicated with Foreign Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso, and requested that the body of the woman who died should be repatriated as soon as possible. He also requested that the four survivors should be returned as soon as they recover. The report from the Tourism Ministry says that one of the Dominicans currently in hospital told Javier Garcia how they saw about 22 of their companions die little by little and that they had to throw their bodies into the sea. The boat, which was carrying 35 passengers left for Puerto Rico15 days ago but became stranded on the high seas. One of the four said that the captain had abandoned them, leaving them adrift.

AP

Incredible

Mr. Lu

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
May GOD have mercy on their Souls.
Cono...I hope they find the Captain and put him in Jail...........he left them.....coward.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sad that they had to but they clearly did. And they are likely to be traumatised by this for quite some time. Can I make a suggestion? For those who remember the 1972 Andes plane crash where the survivors also had to resort to what appears to be called 'survival cannibalism' & had mixed results in dealing with their trauma through psychiatrists etc........how about contacting some of the Andes survivors (now many successful businessmen etc) to see if they would be prepared to listen to these victims? The Andes survivors are Uruguayans so no language problems. And more importantly they have been there, they know what this experience does to people. Official survivor website is here, with links to individual websites of survivors
Alive : The Andes Accident 1972 | Official Site |

Alive and well - Telegraph

This would probably require more influence than I have to pull it off. Maybe Mr. Lu on behalf of DR1 you could approach some of the Andes survivors, if you thought the idea was viable? I just don't see the Dominican survivors getting much help here and I don't even think psychiatry is helpful in dealing with something which is so far removed from 'normal' experience.

It is just possible that this could make a contribution to really bringing home the dangers of yola travel.