Has US-CAFTA-DR finally taken effect?

WillSDQ

Nov 3, 2008
Hello Everyone! I am new to DR1. I conducted a search of my question and could not find any recent info. Today (11-03-2008) my girlfriend called me to tell me she was watching channel 5 news in Santo Domingo. She told me there was a story about importing American made vehicles into the Dominican Republic. She claims the story said that in observance of US-CAFTA-DR it will soon be possible to import American made cars from the USA with no tariffs and/or taxes. The vehicle must be 5 years old or newer. Is this true? As I said, my girlfriend saw the story and I did not. If anyone out there knows the answer, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have huge GM and Ford dealers in Santo Domingo.

Santo Domingo Motors - GM
Viamar - Ford

They move a lot of vehicles.

WillSDQ

Nov 3, 2008
Hi Windeguy! Believe it or not, yes. In Santo Domingo, there is Santo Domingo Motors. They are a GM dealership. They also sell other types of vehicles as well. They are on JFK. They are the guys with either a truck or car hanging off of their building.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Reid on up the road

That is good to know. I guess I never noticed those dealers in my all too many trips to SD trying to negotiate traffic and not being able to see the sides of the road. I prefer Chrysler, but it seems they will be dead soon. I did own one GM car and that worked OK for me in the US.

Even still, if you don't live in "The City", trying to get the parts across the island can be problematic. Do they even carry "parts"? I know the dealer I purchased my car from in Santo Domingo doesn't. A Toyota, they seem to be able to repair on almost any corner.

Cabrel Reid on up the road from Santo Domingo motors. By the Codetel/claro building has Jeeps, Dodge.