BEST RESORT AI Puerto Plata (close to Sosua)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sosua Bay Hotel and Casa Marina are both in Sosua, if that helps.

Cabarete has one or two in the other direction, Viva Wyndam Tangerine is one of them.

tambo'

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Best AI

We have always used the Iberostar Costa Dorada. It's a brilliant hotel which is considered by some to be the best value on the North Coast. Give it a google or have a look at the reviews on trip advisor.

Regards

Reidy

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The Playa Dorada area is about 15 minutes from Sosua, Iberostar is probably the best AI hotel there. In Sosua itself, Casa Marina is always full, for a reason.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
Ai

Hi CC,

We often stay at Breezes which is between Sosua and Cabarete and has a free shuttle to both towns. There are always mixed reviews on the resort, but we have always been very happy there.

ZK

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Iberostar Costa Dorada.

In Puerto Plata, on the East end, on the way towards Sosua: IMHO Iberostar Costa Dorada has little competition.

Positives:

• Food quality and variety (I have yet to be shown an AI in the DR which can compete with them on that point).
  • Styling of the public spots like lobby, dining rooms, bar etc.
  • Quality variety of gardening.
  • Size and design of the pool.
  • Staff being reminded daily: "sin sonrisa no hay turismo - sin turismo no somos nada!" (no joke! Daily briefings and it works!). Probably one of the friendliest staffed hotel around.
  • Size and generosity of layout.
  • Intricate architecture.
  • Safe location and operation.
Negatives:

• Costa Dorada has nice beaches, but certainly not the best of the country or Caribbean.
  • Depending on the tour opperators' offerings abroad the place has surprised us at times with waves of lower class guest arrivals (frankly, "trailer trash"). Yet, the staff seems to have found a handle on keeping them somewhat behaved.
I have used the hotel 4 years ago. And early this years, we arranged a heavily customized 2 month stay with them for my parents and their medical assistant (my father being almost 88 at that time and needing special attention). The staff, starting at the direction down to the room cleaning personal has shown true Dominican friendlyness and respect at it's best.

... J-D.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i would have to give the nod to Sosua Bay over Casa Marina. i've stayed at both (in my rookie days) and the food, atmosphere, entertainment and the beach right in your back yard. a short walk to restaurants and nightlife.
i can tell you that Casa Marina is cheaper which is probably the reason it is always full.

Status
Not open for further replies.