Killing weeds

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008
We seem to be getting a lot of weeds in our grass. We live in Sosua area. Is there anywhere local we can get weed killer and pump. Cheers

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
We seem to be getting a lot of weeds in our grass. We live in Sosua area. Is there anywhere local we can get weed killer and pump. Cheers
Try you local vet. supply shops. There is one in the Houser plaza. "Next to EDEnorte" .Pumps at most Ferreterias.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im not sure but I think most of the sprays kill all plant life- dont know if you can get one that wont harm the grass.

Im guessing you might be English if you have a lawn obsession lol

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i would probably do a patch test first to make sure you dont kill the lot- some sprays only start to work after rain

GardenCraft

Jun 12, 2007
Roundup is a broad spectrum herbicide- its kills any plant. It is usually safe around trees as it can only be absorbed by the plant through the leaf.
For broadleaf weeds in lawns, look for these active ingredients on labels;
MCPA,
bromoxonyl
dicamba
2-4D ester

avoid using on lawns;
glyphosate
paraquat
phenoxyprop-ethyl
to name a few

hope this helps

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008
Im not sure but I think most of the sprays kill all plant life- dont know if you can get one that wont harm the grass.

Im guessing you might be English if you have a lawn obsession lol

Are we Brits that bad (probably). Yes you guessed us right and that is why I put grass instead of lawn but you still sussed me. To be honest, I?m not bothered, it was the gardener who asked if we could get anything for the weeds. Once it is cut it all looks the same to me. Strange to go to the vets but I will have a look there. Thanks for the info

faithie

Oct 29, 2008
Why bother....it's dangerous for the enviroment AND your health. Herbicides & Pesticides are slowly being banned by municipality's in Canada, my town has had a ban for over 10 years.......there is a reason.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Oh man, tree huggers in the D.R. now...

I had my lot sprayed with what my handy man called "selectivo".It was a 2-4-d based product and worked great.My newly planted lemon and tangerine trees are still alive due to his good aim.
I also recommend a test spot in a back corner of your lot, just to be sure.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
DO NOT USE ROUNDUP, this product will kill everything. we use Round up or Rayo to kill everything when preparing the land for a new garden.
to kill the weed you have to use a product that is SELECTIVO. that will kill the weed and will maintain your grass.
if you have bermuda grass or enana (those are the most commun grass here), you can use product as TORDON or ESTALION.
those are a herbicidas sistematicos that contain Ethoxysulfuro and iodosulfuro that are the ingredients that will kill the weed from roots.
you have to spray all the areas where you have weeds. those product will kill all the "hojas anchas", but not your grass.
after 2 sprays, you wont have anymore problems with weeds.
Do not take the weeds out by hands or with machetes. this is even worse.
if you have anykind of grass different that bermuda or enana, let me know. you can not use TORDON or ESTALION in dicondras or any grass with hojas anchas.
| HAUSEN LANDSCAPE | Planning, Design, Contruction, Maintenance

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
New Trees

I planted the seeds from tangerines I bought(I,ve done the same with lemon and grapefruit). I know it will be a while before I see fruit. The trees are only 2 feet tall now, but, it is still fun knowing they were started by me.
Sorry about the "tree hugger" comment:paranoid: I have been a cropduster and forestry spray pilot all of my adult life and am somewhat sensitive to implications of wrong doing when it comes to the use of pesticides. Used properly, pesticides are not only useful, but, also absolutely necessary if we wish to continue to feed, clothe, and house over 6 billion people.

Reactions: AlaninDR