If you like this food...come here!!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I thought eating out in Cabarete was getting a little pricey, then I saw this menu from a Dominican restaurant in NYC. I feel better now.

It's A Dominican Thing

Great menu, and the next time I visit NEW YORK, NEW YORK, I will head to China Town for the Ducks in the window.

Roast Duck Noodle Soup is a must.....

Bring it on !

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
my eye was drawn to salcocho- is this a soup version of sancocho or a spelling mistake and are tomatos borrachos drunk tomatos or does it mean something else (I like to read menus to try to learn)

Mar 2, 2008
Z-man,
Thanks for the link. It's interesting to see how just about anything can become gentrified.

As an aside, and not intended to be a reflection on you in any way, I would sooner go to Santiago and join ABC in a conga line than go to NYC and spend a fortune for faux Dominican food. (I hope you caught my clever, coy and cute alliteration.)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The real question is, is the food any good? Sure it's pricey, but if you live in NYC and are jonesing for some arroz moro, six bucks is a lot cheaper than a plane ticket to Santiago.

Mar 2, 2008
For the record, I meant if you like Dominican food, come to the DR!!

Good for you David. I agree, and I missed your meaning at first.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
my eye was drawn to salcocho- is this a soup version of sancocho or a spelling mistake and are tomatos borrachos drunk tomatos or does it mean something else (I like to read menus to try to learn)

The right word for what dominicans call sancocho is salcocho.

Sancochar means to blanch.

Salcochar means to cook in water with salt.

Last edited:

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
The real question is, is the food any good? Sure it's pricey, but if you live in NYC and are jonesing for some arroz moro, six bucks is a lot cheaper than a plane ticket to Santiago.

ive eaten there,food is very good,place is a little cramped tho,i like MAMAJUANA on Dyckman much better,real nice atmosphere,nice people,great service