One Island, One Country.

AlActor

Nov 2, 2008
www.imdb.com
Talking to a friend the other day, I was little bit puzzle by a queston he asked me:

Do you think, he said, that some day in the future (200, 400 years from now), Dominican Republic and Haiti will become one single country in the same island?

Being a Dominican myself, I found it difficult to respond. Because if you think about it, it's already happening to some extend.

So, I post here the question hoping to get opinions, coments, and views of our future as a growing country sharing a small island.

Mar 2, 2008
Well if Obama can get this close to the Presidency with his credentials anything can happen as far as I am concerned

Meaning what, exactly, in terms of AIActor's question?

AIActor, by the way, is a very interesting screen name. Does that refer to All Inclusive Actor, like an animacion performer, or All Inclusive Actor, like as someone who is able to play many different roles, like a sock-puppet, for example?

In any event, it is a valid question, and it deserves a better response than just a cut and pasted post from another thread.

And just when it seemed we were getting to know each other, and getting along so well.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oh hell no. Too much difference in cultures and language and economy to make it work.
Especially economy. The DR can barely feed and pay for itself, much less absorb Haiti.

The DR does NOT need Haiti's myriad problems.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
Any student of world history as a process, not as a chronological succession of individual events, knows that the one nation situation for the island is not only inevitable but it's already happening. Are you aware that Haiti is a non-state with absolutely no possibility of recovery?; that the US, Canada, EU, and most developed states are activily pursuing this situation?; that massive migration from Haiti to DR is currently going on. For example, since the last flooding of Gonaive, about one third of the population of this Haitian city has transfered to the DR?; that the typical Dominican has no main issues, racial or otherwise, regarding Haitians in the DR, and that Dominicans are actually hospitable to the current inflow of Haitians, notwithstanding what the msm or politicians say to the contrary?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Interestingly, (but perhaps of no relevance) my buddy was having dinner with a government minister, various politicians and a few other MINUSTAH (UN) guys here in Haiti, and there is a strong movement both in the States and Haiti for the US to take on Haiti like it took on Puerto Rico. Seriously - this is fairly well progressed in terms of planning.
I hear you laugh, but it makes some kind of sense.
For example, when Aristide was re-installed by the Americans, he had promised as part of the package to sell the Americans Mole St Nicholas. This is at the top left hand corner of Haiti, 50 miles from Cuba and (sort of) across the Windward Passage from Guantanamo bay - thus a strategically important military location.
Aristide went back on his promise and soon after the Americans invaded again.
Also, for the amount of Aid that the US gives, they might as well get something for their cash. Haiti is packed with Minerals yet to be exploited.
With the states in charge of Haiti I could imagine the Dominicans feeling a little happier about the prospect of a joined up island.
For me it would eventually mean that I did not (need to) escape every few months to chill out in the D.R. - which I would miss greatly.
The contrast between life in Haiti and life in the D.R. is one of my favourite things about this island.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Haiti merges with the DR - New X Files Episode

Any student of world history as a process, not as a chronological succession of individual events, knows that the one nation situation for the island is not only inevitable but it's already happening. Are you aware that Haiti is a non-state with absolutely no possibility of recovery?; that the US, Canada, EU, and most developed states are activily pursuing this situation?; that massive migration from Haiti to DR is currently going on. For example, since the last flooding of Gonaive, about one third of the population of this Haitian city has transfered to the DR?; that the typical Dominican has no main issues, racial or otherwise, regarding Haitians in the DR, and that Dominicans are actually hospitable to the current inflow of Haitians, notwithstanding what the msm or politicians say to the contrary?

JRMirador - That was awesome. I feel like Scully and that conspiracy theory would make Mulder proud.

You have put a smile on my face on what has other wise been a boring day at work.
I arrived in Gonaive on the first relief boat after the Hurricane and we have had staff there ever since and I can tell you first hand that one third of the city have not gone to the DR although I agree that they probably wish they could. In fact I wish I was there now playing golf and drinking a cold beer!

May 12, 2005
Interestingly, (but perhaps of no relevance) my buddy was having dinner with a government minister, various politicians and a few other MINUSTAH (UN) guys here in Haiti, and there is a strong movement both in the States and Haiti for the US to take on Haiti like it took on Puerto Rico. Seriously - this is fairly well progressed in terms of planning.
For example, when Aristide was re-installed by the Americans, he had promised as part of the package to sell the Americans Mole St Nicholas. This is at the top left hand corner of Haiti, 50 miles from Cuba and (sort of) across the Windward Passage from Guantanamo bay - thus a strategically important military location.
Aristide went back on his promise and soon after the Americans invaded again.
Also, for the amount of Aid that the US gives, they might as well get something for their cash. Haiti is packed with Minerals yet to be exploited.
With the states in charge of Haiti I could imagine the Dominicans feeling a little happier about the prospect of a joined up island.
For me it would eventually mean that I did not (need to) escape every few months to chill out in the D.R. - which I would miss greatly.
The contrast between life in Haiti and life in the D.R. is one of my favourite things about this island.

You mean make Haiti a US Territory?? I can't see that ever happening.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Too much historical baggage...

The differences are truly enormous. However, as one of the posters said, 100 years from now, who knows?

As for the US taking on Haiti....maybe, but they should certainly bring in France and Canada, the two countries whose gay population created an HIV hell in Haiti...

HB

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
HillBilly,
From here on the ground it feels different to the way you describe.
Much more upbeat than you might think from watching news.
Also, when Gringos talk about Haiti from their close-up and personal experience, they tend to exaggerate the situation to validate their outrageous UN / USAID / Red Cross gravy train.

What I keep watching, hearing and reading about Haiti is,
"Sure! - Disaster here is accepted and even embraced as it occasionally relieves the seemingly eternal of agony of a short, painful, miserable life."

What I keep experiencing is,
"Haiti is a bit fXXXXd but it's nothing a good once over wouldn't sort out. Prestige anybody??"

Honestly, it it eminently fixable!
Although I am not overly sold of the American way of 'fixing up' a country these days.:ermm:

Collingwood,
And Scully was the hot female right??

May 5, 2007
You are joking, right?

Maybe when teh "Great White Fleet" was trying to project US Military Power, but honestly "Ike" Nimitz, "Abe" and others really don't require a coaling station these days

Gitmo is purely a symbolic station, hardly a need for a military base in the Caribbean these days

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
"hardly a need for a military base in the Caribbean these days"

Rash words, my friend!
Even though the Americans couldn't afford another war, there are a few Central American, South American and possibly even Caribbean nations who do have the means to become a nuisance over the next couple of decades.

A army of Haitians and Dominicans for example??

Second thoughts, that is just silly.

May 5, 2007
Not at all rash Pedro

The US has since WW II maintained a presence in the Caribbean by way of the Second Fleet (Atlantic) and "tasking" or forming a Task force of ships on semi permanent duty in the Caribbean and South America.

There is no credible threat from any Caribbean, Central or South American Countries to the USA or it's allies and certainly nothing that is not easily defended by this task force, and quick response of land based US aircraft that could/would respond to any Fleet threat within hours. (Don't forget those B-1's in Texas which could literally make the trip to almost anywhere in the Caribbean within a couple hours, the BUFFS at Barksdale would be able to respond for sustained mission within hours and the ever present (Or are they) B 2 Spirit Stealth Bombers have a quick trip from Whiteman, all within a time frame measured in hours instead of the "old" way of months upon months of planning

The British ably proved in the 1980's (Falklands or Maldives war) that a smaller well equipped and trained force, with proper intel. could take on numerically superior and better equipped force (Argentinians and their Dassault Mirages, Super Entendars, Submarines) with the aid of mid air refueling and aircraft carriers. The British did not have near the capability of one US CBG yet wreaked havoc on the Argentinians (Seems "normal" for the Brits, under equipped and using cast of equipment they find a way to excel) who many felt would leave the British ships dead in the water with their deadly Exocet missiles (The did have some success but failed to press their advantage of having supersonic Air Superiority fighters versus British "Jump Jets" and instead retreated to protect the Capital of Port Stanley AND preserve thier rAir Fleet as they had little operating RADAR and they were not faring well against highly trained British Naval Pilots.

The US Command is considering or has considered "reactivating" the US Fourth Fleet, a Fleet in name only as it is really a subset of the second Fleet with no permanently assigned assets, which would headquarter at NAS Mayport Florida and be responsible for Narco interdiction, humanitarian assistance a and a general presence in teh Caribbean and South American region

Apparently Chavez, the Argentinians and a few others (Cuba) are not too happy about the reactivation of an entire US Fleet in their swimming hole, but I don't beleive they will assign any carriers to this group, instead staying with fast CG's, DDG's and LPD's to provide helicopter and Marine Harrier support and capabilities

I would "assume" the ever present Attack subs might use the Caribbean now and then, maybe a deterrent to any flotilla of Yolas intent on an amphibious invasion of Homah, Louisiana.

Seriously, today's equipment, both surface and aerial are no longer tethered to fixed station and a Caribbean station is just an unneeded cost

Your second thought was astute :)

Then again, we (USA) could just build a fence :ninja:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Wow Island Dreaming,
I slept soundly last night knowing all this.
I just hope they can afford the diesel when they need to activate all this fire power.
And when did there need to be a credible military threat before the Americans get involved??