Sketchy Question

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
So, I'm a female that has just moved to Dominican Republic (Santiago) on Friday, so I'm still attempting to find things here. For example, I need to find a good salon for African-American hair, a good esthetician, and a spa that does waxing for everything....and I mean EVERYTHING. I was just told today that waxing certain parts of the body aren't done here due to social taboos, but I am used to having certain types of waxing done in Canada, so I hope I can find it here.

If anyone has any info for Santiago or knows of a place, please let me know! PM or just write it here. Thanks a lot for your info and thanks in advance for the lack of silly comments.

P.S.

I live near the Plaza Internacional and I don't have a car, so somewhere in reasonable distance would be good. However, if I cannot find it here, I would be willing to travel to a spa in Puerto Plata to get it done if it comes down to that. Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't have information for Santiago, but just to reassure you that all the good waxing salons I've been to in the DR will provide the Brazilian option. Mind you, they do tend to be a little more uptight in Santiago... ;)

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I just heard today that it is a bit uptight. Do you have info for where you are? Cause I would be willling to travel, as my Spanish is not up to par and dont want to risk embarrassing myself and having people talk about me and I don't know what they're saying.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hey, I'm Shalena. African-American female who moved to Santiago in August with my kids. You can go to my salon.... CACHE in Master Plaza. If you want I can take you there. I'm going to NYC this weekend and I will be back on next Wed. AM, we could go on Thursday if you want.
Looking forward to meeting you!
I don't know about the waxing because I do not have arm or leg hair (never had it in my life) and where I do have hair, I take care of myself!;);)
Just let me know...........
SHALENA

P.S. I hope you are coming to the get together next Saturday (the 15th). Read about it in the other thread about meeting expats
P.P.S.
I speak pretty good spanish so don't worry, we can pretend I don't then I can tell you what they are saying:cheeky:

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
If Shalena can't take you to a place, PM me. One of my friends goes to a place in Los Jardines (close by you, take the A car and walk down) for more, ah, "delicate" waxing lol. I've been there before, it's a nice place. I can get the number for you if you'd like, it's not the cheapest place but I think it's worth it.

As for your hair, I would think that almost any salon you go to should be able to work with your kind of hair. A lot of Dominicans have curly hair, and Dominicans stylists are experts at getting it super straight. Just walk on into any salon, but check with someone beforehand, for the real price so they don't try to overcharge you. However, if you wear your hair in a natural style, I don't think you will have a lot of luck finding a stylist who can work with you...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Stop by the house and I will point you towards the French-owned Spa near by here...

HB

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Thanks so much all of you! I was feeling so isolated and lonely here! I feel a lot better that people are so willing to help.