The government doesn't know where to get US$200 million

Feb 7, 2007
"El gobierno no sabe de d?nde sacar? US$200 millones para enfrentar crisis el?ctrica" - The government doesn't know where to get US$200 million

La Rep?blica - El gobierno no sabe de d?nde sacar? US$200 millones para enfrentar crisis el?ctrica

It's that easy, Leon-El. Just don't throw more money on Metro, Metro 2 and train to Santiago.

Sorry - I forgot - that Metro etcetera has more priority than the whole country which is dying a slow, agonizing, and painful death from the energy crisis.

Businesses are down, going under, going bankrupt, people are desperate, really desperate. Here where we used to get 22-24 hours, we are barely getting 12 per day. As I said already - and I predict that - if nothing happens soon, the government will have a revolution on their hands.

So, would the last one leaving the island please turns off the lights? (...err... sorry... I forgot... the lights had been already turned off by the deficit of generation ...)

NOW, Leon-El can ride the Metro just by himself.... the government without having people to govern (or ride the Metro) . What a joy will he have!!!

track

Sep 6, 2008
:paranoid:

What's going to happen now?
What kind of answer is that?
I would fire the entire CDEEE staff!
I don't understand how getting more generator will solve the crisis. How will the new generators get paid?

DR IS IN BIG TROUBLE NOW!..... STOP THE METRO, STOP SOMETHING!

:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
mY CLASSES AT THE UNIVERSITY ARE LITERALLY (sorry) open mouthed, gap-jawed, when I tell them about the $366 million that is owed to the generators (Haina and AES Dominicana), especially when I multiply it by 35 and get 20,000,000,000+ pesos!!!!

There is just no way they can bring that money out of thin air...Ask yourself, would you loan the DR government of Leon-bin-el that kind of money????

HB

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Sorry - I forgot - that Metro etcetera has more priority than the whole country which is dying a slow, agonizing, and painful death from the energy crisis.

Businesses are down, going under, going bankrupt, people are desperate, really desperate. Here where we used to get 22-24 hours, we are barely getting 12 per day. As I said already - and I predict that - if nothing happens soon, the government will have a revolution on their hands.

So, would the last one leaving the island please turns off the lights? (...err... sorry... I forgot... the lights had been already turned off by the deficit of generation ...)
Are you sure about this?

How can an economy that is 50+ times more powerful than Canada, USA, Europe, Russia, Japan, etc... combined, not be able to pay their electric bills? :ermm:

We have a very powerful controlled economy...
It's very small compared to that of the US and affected countries today, but is 50 times or more much stronger than all of them put together... it's that simple!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
"El gobierno no sabe de d?nde sacar? US$200 millones para enfrentar crisis el?ctrica" - The government doesn't know where to get US$200 million

La Rep?blica - El gobierno no sabe de d?nde sacar? US$200 millones para enfrentar crisis el?ctrica

It's that easy, Leon-El. Just don't throw more money on Metro, Metro 2 and train to Santiago.

NOW, Leon-El can ride the Metro just by himself.... the government without having people to govern (or ride the Metro) . What a joy will he have!!!

Im glad someone said it! I am in the same town as Rubio and i know we are not getting it nearly as bad as some but it is awful! But i know damn well that at the end of the month my electric bill will be the same as normal, One that has tripled in cost over the last 5 months even though we seem to be consuming the same amount!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the money to pay the light bill has been stolen in order to pay for more bureaucrats, who are looking at the electricity crisis, and their recommendation is to appoint a special commission that will need new jeepetas.

Oct 23, 2008
The know-it-all DUMBINICAN politicians should perhaps consider selling all their Jeepetas and Choppers so that the government that they are running could pay the light bill that they stole. I bet you that the electrical companies wont cut off their electricity. What a pity. Too bad that sometimes normal people who pay their bills on time get caught up in a mess like this. If this continues.... I might as well leave the country!!!! Can't keep on living like this with no light throughout the whole day.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
As I said already - and I predict that - if nothing happens soon, the government will have a revolution on their hands.

They have had, are having & will have 'protests' - tyre burning huelgas etc & these will increase, I'm sure. But a 'proper' revolution? I don't think so, not just yet. People aren't organised enough yet. But I think this will bring the eventual revolution further forward, yes, so in that sense I would agree.

What I also think there will be more of are peaceful demos by business owners like this one
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=191231&guid=F9137178246D4483B347328111CD06B5&Seccion=63

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Where I live there is a 24 hour circuit and we are having a few blackouts (average 30 minutes to 2 hours) but nothing like the news is reporting.

Also in the Santiago Free Zone the power seems better than ever.

I suspect that the government is basically just not providing lights to non-paying areas, and if that's true, then I applaud them. I have been paying the power bill for deadbeats ever since I have been in this country and it gives me great joy to finally see them without power.

"Milk for the kids and bla bla bla," what business do people have making babies when they cant even afford electricity?

Reactions: Chirimoya

track

Sep 6, 2008
This is Bull, but the government wants/will to purchase fighter jet (TUCANO ) and will get a loan.

I can't wait for my next assignment!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suspect that the government is basically just not providing lights to non-paying areas, and if that's true, then I applaud them. I have been paying the power bill for deadbeats ever since I have been in this country and it gives me great joy to finally see them without power.

Not true in Santo Domingo, many 24x7 sectors are effected.

I agree, I have no problem them cutting power for deadbeats that don't and won't pay.

Saying that...

In many poor areas of Santo Domingo, they don't have the infrastructure or any system to pay. So much for the usual broken promises of infrastructure investment, blah, blah, blah.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
We are in a 24x7 sector and today is the first day in weeks that we have had continuous electricity supply (but the day is not over yet.... ;) ). Over the weekend the electricity was off on Saturday from 10:00am until 1:00am - very unusual for this area. Usually we are only have a few hours without supply. We have seen the average outage time increase from 2-3 hours to 8+ hours.

It is certainly annoying to have no electricity as that means for us no water. At least we have the means to draw water from the well without too much hassle. We have in inverter, so are able to run fans, lights and internet.

I love the fact that Edesur are so quick to come and cut your supply if you are even 1 day late paying the bill...

We had an interesting scenario where we received an 'extra bill' because our consumption was less the first month we moved in (before we had a/c, washing machine, dryer, etc.). Edesur sent the extra bill 3 months after the fact, with no explanation or description, just a invoice with a RD$9,000 charge. This has been in dispute for 5 months with no end in sight.

Feb 7, 2007
I suspect that the government is basically just not providing lights to non-paying areas, and if that's true, then I applaud them.

Well, it is not. Here in city Higuey there are 6 circuits, 2 are 24 hour circuits (category A), 2 are 21 hour circuits (category B) and 1 is 18 hour circuit (category C) and one is 15 hour circuit (category D).

The 24 hour circuits are getting like 18 hours per day now, the 21 hour circuits are getting 12 to 15 hours a day. The 24 hour circuits are 24 hour circuits because the index of cash receipts (payments) is over 90%, category B has over 80% etc. This not only includes people that don't pay, but statistically also people who are late with their payment by several days on cut-off date. Ironically, the two 21 hour circuits were planned to be put on 24 hour circuit system as of November 1 because of the good history of payments. Now everything went south (se fue al pique).

I have been paying the power bill for deadbeats ever since I have been in this country and it gives me great joy to finally see them without power.

I too have been paying the power religiously. So have been the people around who I know. The circuit I am on brings power to upper-middle class zones in Higuey. Everybody is screaming that they pay power and they don't get one. So if it gives you a joy to see people suffering -- (and I am talking about people in my neighborhood - I remind you our circuit was to be inaugurated 24 hours on 1st of November) -- because they are without power, they cannot sleep at night because of humidity and heat, their businesses go belly up, even though they pay the invoice every month, then you are one h0ll of an egoistic person.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
We had an interesting scenario where we received an 'extra bill' because our consumption was less the first month we moved in (before we had a/c, washing machine, dryer, etc.). Edesur sent the extra bill 3 months after the fact, with no explanation or description, just a invoice with a RD$9,000 charge. This has been in dispute for 5 months with no end in sight.

Go to PROTECOM and log a complaint. You are not required to pay by law until the dispute is resolved and they (Ede,,,) cannot disconnect your electricity. If they do they will be fined. But don't worry, they won't disconnect it...

Superintendencia de Electricidad Rep?blica Dominicana

If you are really in right, PROTECOM will decide in your favor. Every month I see in Listin Diario an article with the sum of all money PROTECOM ordered the Ede...s to pay back to customers for the given month of logged complaints.

Feb 7, 2007
I love the fact that Edesur are so quick to come and cut your supply if you are even 1 day late paying the bill...

If that is so, then they are doing illegal things. The law says that 2 invoices have to be past due in order for them to cut your power supply. They may not act on just 1 invoice past due.

track

Sep 6, 2008
Where I live there is a 24 hour circuit and we are having a few blackouts (average 30 minutes to 2 hours) but nothing like the news is reporting.

Also in the Santiago Free Zone the power seems better than ever.

"Milk for the kids and bla bla bla," what business do people have making babies when they cant even afford electricity?

You are one lucky guy!
99.9% of Dominican are not that lucky, even if they pay at @25cents USD per KWatt ( It's about 10 cents in Canada and USA )

Sanation

May 21, 2007
If that is so, then they are doing illegal things. The law says that 2 invoices have to be past due in order for them to cut your power supply. They may not act on just 1 invoice past due.

Interesting... when we first moved into our place in SD we were one day late in paying the bill and they came to disconnect the power. We were literally walking out the door to pay the bill when they turned up. My driver spoke to them and they agreed to wait until after lunch, when they would come back and would want to see the receipt.

A couple of months later, Edesur turned up to disconnect the electricity. We had not received the bill (but all previous bills were paid) - we called Edesur and their attitude was 'bad luck'. We got a copy of the bill and arranged immediate payment. The original bill turned up the following month!

Every month we have to contact Edesur and request a copy of the bill as we don't receive the original.

Reactions: FernieBee