Bullets

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I called the airline and confirmed there was not a problem, but I would to know if it is illegal to bring bullets in your luggage to the DR. I do not want to sell, they are for personal use only.

Sep 19, 2005
I called the airline and confirmed there was not a problem, but I would to know if it is illegal to bring bullets in your luggage to the DR. I do not want to sell, they are for personal use only.

If they find them at airport screening they will take them. because it is in fact Illegal in the DR to import ammunition.

that said, i have brought in ammo several times and they never noticed it. I doubt anything would happen if they find it other than they will take it.

it would be like cash to the lucky guy who takes out of your luggage!!

If you do try to bring some ammo in spread it out and and or mix it in with other metalic object in the luggage so it isnt as noticble in the x-rays.

bad bob

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
The airline and homeland security insist they are in original manufactures carton.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
It also must be declared upon check in at the counter. I've done it as well.

Sep 19, 2005
The airline and homeland security insist they are in original manufactures carton.

well I doubt that..

I took the batteries out of a 3 D cell Maglite flashlite. and i put as many 9 mm rounds in it as i could and put it in my checked luggage.

JFK's TSA opened my bag and emptied the flashlite to see what was inside and they left all the ammo spilled inside the suitcase!!

the xray goes through the aluminum flashlite!!!

I put the batteries back in for the return trip and the STI xray machine operator told me that I was supposed to remove the batteries from the flashlite from now on. and he showed me the xray image. i could clearly see the batteries in the flashlite.

any way. if you declare them in the DR they will be taken...for sure.

I dont know how you are supposed to declare them before departure.

You can legally put ammo in checked luggage....there are some restriction though....quantity basically.

bad bad bob

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
FYI, there's a black market for bullets, mostly fed by military personnel. You can get all types of ammo. 9mm rounds are going for over RD$50 each bullet.

Last edited: