Volunteering??

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Hello, I am new to the DR1 forum although I have been posting on several others for a few years now.I joined yesterday and made a post on a thread called orphanages. I have been looking at doing some volunteer work overseas and have found many projects in many places but my heart brings me back to looking in the DR.
I made my first trip to the DR in 07 and fell in love instantly. Sure I love the sun and the beach but most of all I love the people. And the Kids!! Coming from a small town in Canada I had never really been exposed the poverty that is seen in the DR. Seeing how many people live with so little but are still happy, kind and generous has really changed the way that I look at the world and those around me. I came back in April of this year bringing with me a bag full of school supplies and toys, which I gave to the Bavaro Runners to distribute. I was happy to help the kids in this way but it made me want to do even more.
I want to volunteer my time helping in anyway that I could be of use. My heart is with the kids, as I am a child care provider here at home but I just want to help in any way that I can. I have alot of experince with special needs children although I do not have any formal degree in the field. I have cared for a child with Mobius Syndrome and my 10 year old niece has Charge Syndrome. I have been very involved with her care and have learned much! I have level 2 Signed English and know all aspects of tube feeding.
I`m hoping to come to the DR for a week or two in July. I would love to stay longer but have commitments here at home and a 5 year old ;)I`m hoping that someone on here will know of a group or organization that I could be of help to. Thanks in advance...

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
David, I had looked at the Dream Project and thought that it`s a great organization. However, I thought after reading the info that they were only interested in individuals who have specific qualifications ie; teachers. Please correct me if I`m wrong.I do not have a degree in child care or special needs just a love of children, a want to help and a whole lot of life experience. If the Dream Project would be interested in someone like me then I would love to work with them...