What is the best way to send money to Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Markf128

Hello to everyone. It is a wonderful day here in the US. We have a new president and yes it is Mr. Obama. God Bless the USA and DR. Anyway, I would like to send some money to a friend in Sosua and I would like to know the best way to send money to Sosua?

Gracias!!

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
The easiest way is probably through a Western Union. When you send the money they'll give you a number, you tell that number to your friend and with ID they can go to any Western Union and pick it up. It is my understanding that there are many many many many Western Unions all around the country.

Reactions: Rocky and DavidZ

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hello to everyone. It is a wonderful day here in the US. We have a new president and yes it is Mr. Obama. God Bless the USA and DR. Anyway, I would like to send some money to a friend in Sosua and I would like to know the best way to send money to Sosua?

Gracias!!

Wire transfer.

Just $20 for unlimited amount. Forget WU. Rip-off.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Have your friend open an bank account. If he/she is unwilling or too lazy to do that, don't send money. Everyone who has a cedula or passport CAN open a bank account in the DR.
Then either wire it, or have them use PayPal (cheapest for small amounts).

... J-D.

Reactions: Rocky

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
NO surprise!

Wire transfer.

Just $20 for unlimited amount. Forget WU. Rip-off.

Why do you insist on posting inaccurate information?

It's $3.99 to send $100 via WU, not everyone has a bank account in RD.

Is it the cheapest, no, but a lot more cost effective than paying a $20 WIRE FEE.

Try Xoom for lower fees than WU and a bank WIRE!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky and Bronxboy

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Why do you insist on posting inaccurate information?

It's $3.99 to send $100 via WU, not everyone has a bank account in RD.

Is it the cheapest, no, but a lot more cost effective than paying a $20 WIRE FEE.

Try Xoom for lower fees than WU and a bank WIRE!

Just a week ago I wired $15 000 US and paid $20 for it. Western Union can beat it?
Well...
OK. Thank you for honest and true advice and information for a person who trusts what he reads here.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just a week ago I wired $15 000 US and paid $20 for it. Western Union can beat it?
Well...
OK. Thank you for honest and true advice and information for a person who trusts what he reads here.

ok, we are all impressed with your money laundering activities...THE OP was asking about wiring a few bucks to his novia for pampers or milk not for a kidney transplant.

t'

M

Markf128

That is rigth, I'm just looking for the best way to send about $300.00 to a friend. Please, let us not speculate, ok. Thanks so far for all your replys.

Mar 2, 2008
XOOM is as cheap and fast as any. $300 will cost you about $7 or $8, but it fluctuates somewhat.
You can do everything on-line, which is the best part. You just have to get a credit card approved. If you don't use a credit card, probably WU is the way to go.

Reactions: Rocky
M

Markf128

Thanks, but where does my friend go to pickup the money in Sosua?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks, but where does my friend go to pickup the money in Sosua?
1. CARIBE EXPRESS SOSUA
C/ Gregorio Luperon #1, Entrada los charamicos, Sosua

2. BANCO DEL PROGRESO
CALLE PEDRO CLISANTE, CENTRO COMERCIAL MART?NEZ, PUERTO PLATA, R. D.,
SOSUA

Reactions: FernieBee

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
1. CARIBE EXPRESS SOSUA
C/ Gregorio Luperon #1, Entrada los charamicos, Sosua

2. BANCO DEL PROGRESO
CALLE PEDRO CLISANTE, CENTRO COMERCIAL MART?NEZ, PUERTO PLATA, R. D.,
SOSUA
Leave it to Tambo' to be so d@mn helpful and full of useful knowledge! :glasses:

Although Western Union is not the cheapest, it's rock-solid reliable and worth a try. :cheeky:

M

Markf128

Well, I sent the money through Xoom on the 5th of Nov. It only cost me $5 to send $300 but the exchange rate was 34.20 pesos. Anyway WU's exchange rate is 32.00 pesos. Now, my friend has gone to Banco del Progreso to pick up the money 4 times already and they keep telling him that the funs are not available yet and that it might takes up to two days for the transaction to go through. Even though, I got an email from Xoom indicating that the funs were available for pick since the 6th. Well, he is going back on Tuesday and we'll see what happens.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Well, I sent the money through Xoom on the 5th of Nov. It only cost me $5 to send $300 but the exchange rate was 34.20 pesos. Anyway WU's exchange rate is 32.00 pesos. Now, my friend has gone to Banco del Progreso to pick up the money 4 times already and they keep telling him that the funs are not available yet and that it might takes up to two days for the transaction to go through. Even though, I got an email from Xoom indicating that the funs were available for pick since the 6th. Well, he is going back on Tuesday and we'll see what happens.

With WU it would of been there in the next 5 minutes. Sometime it's better to pay for good service.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Did your "friend" try Caribe express in Charamicos to pick up his allowance?

Status
Not open for further replies.