Dialling 829... cellphones from Skype - any solutions?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Many of us now have cell phone numbers which start 829. When dialling from Skype it automatically inserts the country code which for the DR is, of course, 809 and, despite editing to 829 it will assume its the country of South Korea or state 'invalid number' - has anyone found a workaround for this problem?

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
im not sure im following you. just type in the box +1829xxx-xxxx....i just made a call like that an hour ago.

i just did an experiment and didnt use the + and just typed in 1829xxxxxx and i was calling uruguay so maybe thats it. gl

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I've had the same problem but found a way around it (by accident).

Try the following in the 'Call Phones' tab....

1. Select the country/region you are dialing

In the drop down menu, highlight the line ________________ that separates your regularly called countries from the rest. This will leave the box blank and you can then enter the full number (+1 829 ................) in section 2.

I hope that this helps. ;)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The confusion seems to be the "country" code.
The DR shares the US country code which is +1.
809 or 829 are placed like an area code only before the 7 digit number.

+1-809 123 4567
or
+1-829 123 4567

... J-D.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i attempted an 829 call the other day using skype.
at least the version i had wouldn't allow it. it automatically filled in '809' which couldn't be modified if i chose DR as the calling destination.
trying to use the u.s. as the calling destination, it would dial the 829, but tell me it was an invalid #.

i'm 99% sure this is a new problem. i think i've made 829 calls before.

will watch here in case someone has a solution

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
i attempted an 829 call the other day using skype.
at least the version i had wouldn't allow it. it automatically filled in '809' which couldn't be modified if i chose DR as the calling destination.
trying to use the u.s. as the calling destination, it would dial the 829, but tell me it was an invalid #.

i'm 99% sure this is a new problem. i think i've made 829 calls before.

will watch here in case someone has a solution

I just called my own 829 cell phone using skype and it worked.
I also have a US skype land line number which if I am not on my computer will then ring my Dominican 829 cell phone. I just tried that too and it worked like a charm.

I remember until about a year ago, skype handled 829 "area code" numbers like US calls, which was sweet as one could call them for about 2cents a minute or free if one had the monthly fixed rate for US calls. That has changed now.

Again, dial or safe an 829 number as follows: "+18291234567"

... J-D.

Reactions: Tamborista

louise1182

Jul 10, 2006
Tricom

Has anyone tried using Tricom?

The person you are calling would need to purchase a Tricom mobile phone which are around 400 RDS which also gives you calling credit too.

You can then download tricom onto your computer and calls are absolutely free between tricom phones.

Its a great new thing we have just discovered and weve been on the phone calling family ever since!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Has anyone tried using Tricom?

The person you are calling would need to purchase a Tricom mobile phone which are around 400 RDS which also gives you calling credit too.

You can then download tricom onto your computer and calls are absolutely free between tricom phones.

Its a great new thing we have just discovered and weve been on the phone calling family ever since!!

So with this software you can call Tricom cell phones for free from your computer?

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Instructions on dialing 829 numbers on SKYPE - Tried and Tested

Open Skype and go to the 'Call Phones' tab....

1. Select the country/region you are dialing

In the drop down menu, highlight the line ________________ that separates your regularly called countries from the rest. This will leave the box blank (no country/region selected).

2. In Section 2 enter the full number (+1 829 --- ----)

louise1182

Jul 10, 2006
Tricom

I have just found out that tricom is a new company and this is a promotion.
The promotion only lasts until 31st December 2008. Only wish i would have told everyone a few months ago!!
Tricom