residency hassle worth it?

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Greetings,

In a couple of months I will be going to live in the DR for at least a year. I thought I should apply for a residence visa. After looking at the rules and requirements (including the "follow up" Provisional Residence card AND the Residence card) I'm now wondering if it is worth all the hassle?

I will not be working in the DR so that is not an issue. I will not be importing any household goods either. My question is whether I should go forward with that whole process or whether I should just buy the Tourist card and "pay the fine" when I leave the country?

Does anybody know the website that lists the current fines for overstays of the Tourist card? If I'm traveling from the US will I be required to purchase a return ticket?

Thanks for any advice.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OVERSTAY PENALTIES

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
If you only plan on staying for a year, it might be worth paying the fine.

If you intend to own and operate a vehicle, look into the rules for driving on a foreign licence -- there is a maximum time permitted and it is less than a year. While the transit police will not give you a hard time with a foreign licence, the insurance company will likely not pay you out if you have overstayed the permitted window on driving under a foreign licence.

Also, unless they have changed the law, a foreign non-resident may be obliged to post a bond should they wish to initiate a civil action in the Dominican Republic. My understanding is that many courts no longer require it, but it is still on the books.

Aside from those two items, and assuming you have no intention of working, it is likely more practical to simply pay the fine.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Thank you for the replies. That's about what I figured, it's probably best just to pay the overstay fine, it is about what a visa would cost me without the hassle...

Tamborista where did that info come from? Is there a website link you could direct me to? I'd like to know since I'm sure those fees probably change from time to time...

Those days are from AFTER the first 30 days (coverage of the Tourist card), correct?

I suppose I'll need a return plane ticket if I decide on using just the Tourist Card then?

Thanks again.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
:: Tarifas

VENTANILLA DE EXTRANJERIA
<TABLE class=tarifa cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR height=20><TD>De 30 d?as a 3 meses
</TD><TD>
RD $300.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 3 meses a 9 meses
</TD><TD>
RD $500.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 9 meses a 1 a?o
</TD><TD>
RD $2000.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses
</TD><TD>
RD $3500.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 1 a?o y 6 meses a 2 a?os
</TD><TD>
RD $4500.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses
</TD><TD>
RD $6000.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 2 a?os y 6 meses a 3 a?os
</TD><TD>
RD $8000.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 3 a?os a 5 a?os
</TD><TD>
RD $12000.00​
</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 5 a?os en adelante
</TD><TD>
RD $15000.00​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thank you for the replies. That's about what I figured, it's probably best just to pay the overstay fine, it is about what a visa would cost me without the hassle...

Tamborista where did that info come from? Is there a website link you could direct me to? I'd like to know since I'm sure those fees probably change from time to time...

Those days are from AFTER the first 30 days (coverage of the Tourist card), correct?

I suppose I'll need a return plane ticket if I decide on using just the Tourist Card then?

Thanks again.

The days listed are from the date you arrive, not starting after 30 days.

You don't need a return ticket, although some people have mentioned that they have had problems with this....I believe it would occur when you are leaving from your home airport.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Yes, I see that is correct...

and also I believe it is correct that the return ticket must be presented in the "home airport"...although I do not understand why they would care...

Thanks again.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the homeairport would care about the return ticket because the dominican law requires that return ticket from a american citizen which is entering the dominican republic without residency.
airlines get penalties when caught bording passengers without the complete required papers on hand including the return ticket.
arriving here it will often not be checked, because the flight rules require that to be checked at the airport of departure, but sometimes they ask here for that, too, and in case it is not present the law allows customs to send you back on the same flight which brought you in, at your cost and the airline fined for their failure.
Mike

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
the homeairport would care about the return ticket because the dominican law requires that return ticket from a american citizen which is entering the dominican republic without residency.
airlines get penalties when caught bording passengers without the complete required papers on hand including the return ticket.
arriving here it will often not be checked, because the flight rules require that to be checked at the airport of departure, but sometimes they ask here for that, too, and in case it is not present the law allows customs to send you back on the same flight which brought you in, at your cost and the airline fined for their failure.
Mike

Yeah, that too ! Last month I traveled to Santiago on AA, and planned to leave thru PP on Jetblue, and when I checked in NY I was asked to provide a return ticket.

I told the agent that I was returning thru another carrier and thru POP, and she didn't demand any more info. Could it be that I checked in thru the Business Class line and more flexible ?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
nice try Elvis,
so what??
does it change the law??
not a bit.
you can pack some lbs of cocaine in your checked luggage and get luckily throu with it.
if somebody askes about the requirements for such 'stuff' to be shipped to somewhere, would you recommend exacty that because of your once lucky experience??
i can not count how ofetn during the last 14 years i've been not asked for my return ticket, during the first years never, but even during the last years more often not than the travels where i got asked, i don't need it because i am a permanent resident since over a decade, but the check in counter at home doesn't know that unless they ask me of course.
would i for that recommend to go exactly like that and take chances?
sure not.
a serious Q been asked and the only right answer is:
YES, if you are not a resident of this country you need a return ticket at your hand to present on check in and on "Customs check" when entering the DR.
everything else is possible but your own private lottery until you get for the first in lifetime not planned home flight and have to deal with the not so small bill for it.
Mike

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
:mad::ermm: :tired: :eek:gre: :bored::mad:

I thought I should apply for a residence visa. After looking at the rules and requirements (including the "follow up" Provisional Residence card AND the Residence card) I'm now wondering if it is worth all the hassle?.
Yes it is. You may not think so now but I am certain later that you WILL find it worth the 'hassle'.

I will not be working in the DR so that is not an issue. .
Maybe not but there WILL be many more 'issues' if you do not have a cedula to flash in times of stress here!
My question is whether I should go forward with that whole process .........
Thanks for any advice.

Yes you SHOULD. The process is NOT as difficult as you make out (especially when done by a competent lawyer). Get the relevant papers together, go see a lawyer, take a trip to Santo Domingo (or Santiago now) & the process is started & you are 'LEGAL'. Second visit to pick up Residencia & cedula & then nothing more for 12 months. Thereafter renewing is simple & only every 2 years.

If you intend making the DR your HOME, become committed to your new country of residence & DO IT!! ~ Grahame.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Yes Grahame I hear what you're saying...and I agree with you. However at this point I'm NOT commited to making the DR my home. I just don't know at this point. It depends on how the next year or so goes...

Thus because of that I do not feel it is worth the process (and certainly not worth paying a lawyer). I've begun to gather the preliminary docs for a residence visa that I could submit to the Dominican Consulate in Boston, MA...however even that seems to be a hassle because I can't get answers from them on if they will "translate/authenticate" my birth certificate...and then there's all the additional paperwork and money for the "follow-up" visa's later on...

Right now I think I'm better off paying the couple thousand Pesos to overstay the Tourist card...again, that could change if I choose to stay in the DR longer term...then I would get the residency, but now--doesn't seem that I need to jump into the "deep end".

And yes I'm sure a good lawyer could do the process relatively pain-free but he/she is also going to want good money for that.

Once again thank you to all for the info...it is appreciated. ;)