Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: residency hassle worth it?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default residency hassle worth it?

Greetings,

In a couple of months I will be going to live in the DR for at least a year. I thought I should apply for a residence visa. After looking at the rules and requirements (including the "follow up" Provisional Residence card AND the Residence card) I'm now wondering if it is worth all the hassle?

I will not be working in the DR so that is not an issue. I will not be importing any household goods either. My question is whether I should go forward with that whole process or whether I should just buy the Tourist card and "pay the fine" when I leave the country?

Does anybody know the website that lists the current fines for overstays of the Tourist card? If I'm traveling from the US will I be required to purchase a return ticket?

Thanks for any advice.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

OVERSTAY PENALTIES

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
    3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
    9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
    1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
    1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
    2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
    2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
    3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
    5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you only plan on staying for a year, it might be worth paying the fine.

If you intend to own and operate a vehicle, look into the rules for driving on a foreign licence -- there is a maximum time permitted and it is less than a year. While the transit police will not give you a hard time with a foreign licence, the insurance company will likely not pay you out if you have overstayed the permitted window on driving under a foreign licence.

Also, unless they have changed the law, a foreign non-resident may be obliged to post a bond should they wish to initiate a civil action in the Dominican Republic. My understanding is that many courts no longer require it, but it is still on the books.

Aside from those two items, and assuming you have no intention of working, it is likely more practical to simply pay the fine.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies. That's about what I figured, it's probably best just to pay the overstay fine, it is about what a visa would cost me without the hassle...

Tamborista where did that info come from? Is there a website link you could direct me to? I'd like to know since I'm sure those fees probably change from time to time...

Those days are from AFTER the first 30 days (coverage of the Tourist card), correct?

I suppose I'll need a return plane ticket if I decide on using just the Tourist Card then?

Thanks again.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

:: Tarifas

VENTANILLA DE EXTRANJERIA
    <TABLE class=tarifa cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR height=20><TD>De 30 días a 3 meses
    </TD><TD>
    RD $300.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 3 meses a 9 meses
    </TD><TD>
    RD $500.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 9 meses a 1 año
    </TD><TD>
    RD $2000.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 1 año a 1 año y 6 meses
    </TD><TD>
    RD $3500.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 1 año y 6 meses a 2 años
    </TD><TD>
    RD $4500.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 2 años a 2 años y 6 meses
    </TD><TD>
    RD $6000.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 2 años y 6 meses a 3 años
    </TD><TD>
    RD $8000.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 3 años a 5 años
    </TD><TD>
    RD $12000.00
    </TD></TR><TR height=20><TD>De 5 años en adelante
    </TD><TD>
    RD $15000.00
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Last edited by Tamborista; 11-06-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Gracia!

The info is very helpful...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SH6811 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. That's about what I figured, it's probably best just to pay the overstay fine, it is about what a visa would cost me without the hassle...

Tamborista where did that info come from? Is there a website link you could direct me to? I'd like to know since I'm sure those fees probably change from time to time...

Those days are from AFTER the first 30 days (coverage of the Tourist card), correct?

I suppose I'll need a return plane ticket if I decide on using just the Tourist Card then?

Thanks again.
    The days listed are from the date you arrive, not starting after 30 days.

You don't need a return ticket, although some people have mentioned that they have had problems with this....I believe it would occur when you are leaving from your home airport.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I see that is correct...

and also I believe it is correct that the return ticket must be presented in the "home airport"...although I do not understand why they would care...

Thanks again.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the homeairport would care about the return ticket because the dominican law requires that return ticket from a american citizen which is entering the dominican republic without residency.
    airlines get penalties when caught bording passengers without the complete required papers on hand including the return ticket.
    arriving here it will often not be checked, because the flight rules require that to be checked at the airport of departure, but sometimes they ask here for that, too, and in case it is not present the law allows customs to send you back on the same flight which brought you in, at your cost and the airline fined for their failure.
    Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    the homeairport would care about the return ticket because the dominican law requires that return ticket from a american citizen which is entering the dominican republic without residency.
    airlines get penalties when caught bording passengers without the complete required papers on hand including the return ticket.
    arriving here it will often not be checked, because the flight rules require that to be checked at the airport of departure, but sometimes they ask here for that, too, and in case it is not present the law allows customs to send you back on the same flight which brought you in, at your cost and the airline fined for their failure.
    Mike

Yeah, that too ! Last month I traveled to Santiago on AA, and planned to leave thru PP on Jetblue, and when I checked in NY I was asked to provide a return ticket.

I told the agent that I was returning thru another carrier and thru POP, and she didn't demand any more info. Could it be that I checked in thru the Business Class line and more flexible ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast