Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning Spanish

I know that there are a lot of posts about learning Spanish in the DR and I've seen that people are recommending ALPI, but I work there teaching English, so I don't really want to take Spanish there too. Does anyone know of someone that gives private lessons or a fairly cheap school that I could get lessons from?

Thank, Tonya

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tk toronto View Post
    I know that there are a lot of posts about learning Spanish in the DR and I've seen that people are recommending ALPI, but I work there teaching English, so I don't really want to take Spanish there too. Does anyone know of someone that gives private lessons or a fairly cheap school that I could get lessons from?

Thank, Tonya
    For free: Teach someone English, or what ever you speak.
    Believe me, it can work. It's free and you help someone along on top too.

... J-D.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

great advice JD,
    i would pick my best english student and offer him that deal in exchange for private english/spanish lessons.
    would be good for both sides.
    Mike

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

useless.
    only thing a non-professional can teach you is to order a beer. a student, no matter how good will have no idea how to explain you syntax, declination etc. unless we are talking a someone who studies spanish.
    sad but true.
    miesposo with all his PUCIMM education cannot explain the simplest rule.

if you need to learn proper spanish (grammar rules and all that) take a teacher who is a professor of spanish with degree. or teach yourself with a book.
    if you want to learn street spanish get a boyfriend or befriend some dominicans and speak. make mistakes, learn, make less mistakes, learn more.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

syntax is sentence structure I had to look it up and declination is something to do with astronomy

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

you are right, declinacion is declension is english...
    sorry

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    For free: Teach someone English, or what ever you speak.
    Believe me, it can work. It's free and you help someone along on top too.

... J-D.
    This sounds like a good idea, along with teaching yourself with newspapers,
    watching spanish tv stations... I think there was a thread on this before.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

declension n. Linguistics. In certain languages, the inflection of nouns, pronouns, and adjectives in categories such as case, number, and gender

dam now i had to look that up lol

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    declension n. Linguistics. In certain languages, the inflection of nouns, pronouns, and adjectives in categories such as case, number, and gender

dam now i had to look that up lol
    and conjugation

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great tool are movies on DVD, since many are multi lingual.
    Watch a movie once or twice in your language until you remember the scenes and then play it the language you wish to learn. After two or three time in foreign language, try to speak along (out loud!). This is a great way to get better accent and to learn to talk the talk. Just try to choose your movies wisely.
    When you read, read out loud too. Always! It completely different than silent reading.

I have never had language tutoring, and while I don't think I speak any of the languages I know perfectly, I seem to get by much better than most I've seen spend big buck with fancy courses and tutoring. But there will be approaches as individual as one can be.

My son, who was born when we lived in Ecuador and raised in Spanish until he was three and we moved to the US, learned a lot watching twice daily re-runs of "Dallas" on TNN. After watching it twice, he came to believe "JR" actually was family and truly suspected I might have an affair with "Pamela", especially since one other "Dallas" actor is a friend of ours and he met him in Dallas and was taken out to visit South Fork. But Gawd, poo ol' boy did he git a Southern drawl when he did tawk! Now, he's 13, lives in Spain with his mother and goes to an English school and has long forgotten about Dallas . And after visiting here (DR) three time already, when I call him, he answers: "... y, que'lo'que'e?"... he's already picked up on that Dominican slang too.

... J-D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast