At US$130 a night in a hotel, what should I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
To shorten my story, I've just booked US$130 a night in 5 start hotel in Puerto Plata. What should I expect from $130 a night. Since I've been working here at Moca, and extra day off is coming up I decide to go on a weekend getaway. And everything is set from what I understood, somebody will come to pick me up from my office around noon on Saturday and eventually I'll end up at Puerto Plata. My assistance here said about $130 a night at 5 star hotel, this is the all the phrase I could understand, from my limited knowledge on spanish. I am going to ask my assistance more on this but what should I expect for around US$130 a night? You guys think it's one of those all inclusive deal or do I have to pay my food bill once I got there? Any suggestion on what to see on 3 days 2 nights trip (minus some time off for Sunday night NFL game) in Puerto Plata?

And where to watch Sunday Night NFL football near Puerto Plata? If there's no decent place, is internet connection good so I can stream my cable box from room? I gotta watch my Giants game no matter what so any help on this will be appreciated!

TIA
vb.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Without the name of the hotel, you and many DR1 posters will be limited to pure conjecture.

Regardless, the price seems very steep if the rate is $130 US dollars a night. You can definitely do better, but it all depends on what sort of amenities you are looking for.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
See my response on your OTHER thread vb. Tell me which hotel & I'll tell you what to expect!

Regardless, the price seems very steep if the rate is $130 US dollars a night. You can definitely do better, but it all depends on what sort of amenities you are looking for.
Not necessarily Berzin if you consider this is now HIGH season (with 50% vacancies more than likely!!) & it sounds as though vb is travelling alone & will thereby be hit with a single occupancy rate!! Further, we do not know if vb has booked 'direct' or gone via a tour company - booking direct is more expensive if you do not know how to 'haggle the price down'!!

Give us something to help you with vb ........... & we'll be there to help!! ~ Grahame.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sports on TV in Puerto Plata? We have only found Hemmingways in Playa Dorada that carry lots of sports. Otherwise you would have to go to Sosua, the next town east of POP.

Mar 2, 2008
$130 a night, hummm, I can think of some accoutrements that would go nicely with the d?cor, maybe even two or three, at that price.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
maybe si, maybe no

In the Dominican Republic price often does not equate with quality. Agree with the other posters that you may not get the game. There are excellent sports bars in Sosua-Cabarete area. You are "buyin a pig in a poke". I wouldn't do it .

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are only two non-AI hotels in Puerto Plata that would be near that price. One is truly 5 star, Casa Colonial, but $130 is actually about half what they would probably charge. The other is called something like Mustang Ranch, and is far from 5 star, but does come with some interesting "amenities" :bunny:

It's most likely an AI in Playa Dorada. If it was booked by your assistant and he/she is Dominican, it's probably the Celuisima Tropical. If you are in one of the AI's in Playa Dorada, all your food and drinks are included in the booking price, but the hotel will definitely not be 5 star (unless it's Casa Colonial). However, as The Virginian said, Hemmingways would be an excellent place to watch the Game on Sunday...it's similar to a TGIFridays with American food and lots of TV's.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
At US$130 a night in a hotel, what should I expect?

I would expect a complimentary chica to be included.

;)

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Sorry for late reply guys. It's been busy day here with holiday coming up. I've been reading the posts tiime to time but I didn't had the information until late in the afternoon. And like I said it's been busy day for me.

It looks like the hotel is IBEROSTAR COSTA DORADA, and you guys were right on It's AI for 2 nights, all expense paid. I've been reading the review, and this year there's mixed review on both good to moderate. But I do like what they said on the hotel directory section here, "No worries. No meetings. Nowhere to be in a hurry. Unless you want to." Perfect ideal getaway I was looking for. But with all that said. I want to see if I can make this a decent trip if I can. I do want to just sit around and relax for couple of days, but I know after sitting around for few hours, I might want to venture out for quick look around. So any suggestion would be greatful.

And I've been craving good steaks and lobsters since I got here. And been searching around Santiago for decent steaks and had no luck, TGI Friday was pretty good compare to others but it was nothing to write home about. And I also went to place that had lobster on their menu somewhere that was on mountain with great view but manager didn't recommended the lobster so I went for steaks, only to leave with unsatisfactory result (too salty). Is there any good steak/lobster place near my hotel please let me know.

Ah... Chica I am already in complete guilt with my encounters here in DR, while my loyal fiance is waiting sick for me back home. I am not going to look for it but if it happens naturally with few drinks, let's see where this goes. :p

Thanks for the info on Hemmingways, Unless something happens I'll be there to support my BIG BLUE!

Thanks!
vb

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You should get the game in your hotel room. It is on NBC, and possibly a Spanish station as well. You can check when you get there if you do in fact have NBC on your TV. For $130 a night I would think you will get it. In Sosua it is on channel 30. I would think someone in PP can tell you the Cable channel for NBC.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The Iberostar at Costa Dorada is one of the best in the area, probably third behind Casa Colonia (far too expensive) & what was called Coral Merien which is the other hotel at Costa Dorada. You can walk to Hemingway's at Playa Dorada via the beach during the day but I wouldn't recommend that journey after dark ................ not necessarily dangerous, just Damage Control!!

Check with the hotel about what cable station they have - I suspect you will find the game on Channel 67, 68, 69 which are sports channels but NBC will probably be nearer the 88. If Hemingway's is not showing it, go to Phil's bar in the corner of Playa Dorada shopping complex (about 5 shops along from Hemingway's in the corner). You'll doubtless have difficulty understanding Phil's English - he is an Englishman but from YORKSHIRE!!:surprised!! (that jibe is for RayLeeds!!).:cheeky: :ermm:

Just along the main road from Costa Dorada (going towards Playa Dorada) is a restaurant called El Manguito where they do a fairly decent Lobster meal at a very reasonable rate. Steaks there tend to be 'Pepper Steaks', pleasant if you like your steaks peppered but thin(ish) & certainly not Sirloin!! You can ask for a sirloin though so it will be worth going in & talking to them. Be warned, the restaurant is NOT palacially designed or adourned!! It is a restaurant that Dominicans like to visit!!

If you want to REALLY have a good fish or Lobster meal, get someone to take you across to Maimon!! Now THAT is the place that all food loving Dominicans go to on Sundays!!!

Relaxation is the whole essence of a Dominican holiday ........ NO PROBLEM!!

Have fun ~ Grahame.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
hemingways will have the games on but maybe not your game. NFL has about 7 or 8 games on at a time, and there are only about 2 or 3 screens usually.

If you get to Chris and Mady's or the Beach House (both in Cofresi about 15 mins away) early they will put on your game of choice.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Giants game is Sunday night, so it is the only game on at night. It will be on everywhere mentioned above.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I don't know who booked you but ask more questions. If your here for a week . Get a condo . Good to some great Rest. Play golf at Plale Grande. Trust me your Steak will not be that great. Just a thought

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
I am all packed and ready to go. I am just finishing off few of unfinished work as I wait for a my ride. Once again thanks bushbaby and everybody for all the great information.

While I stayed at Hodelpa Gran Almirante and Courtyard by Marriott Hotels, luckily I did catch the Giants games on ESPN Deporte, but both hotel did not have NBC and Sunday night games. Since it's the resort I might be lucky enough to catch Giants game or have decent wifi there to watch the game? I'll ask about NBC and Sunday Night Game once I get there. I'll either be at hamingways drinking and cheering my butt off or in hotel room relaxing with few cold drinks. I'll see how everything works out.

As far as steaks goes, I guess I'll have to wait until I go back home. I haven't had any place that meets or go anyway near my expectation in any country so far. I guess I haven't traveled enough yet. Anyways, I'll be going back for a week or two soon(depends on few things), but I'll ask about Maimon when I come back from resort. I've been thinking about taking people out for dinner for few days, so I'll see if people are willing to go extra miles for seafood dinner this time.

i would expect a week for usd 130
There was time, I spent much less then that when I was traveling SEA several years back, but right now couple of days away from EVERY thing in paradise could be a good thing for me. Especially all I did for past 4-5 years was work without a break. But I feel ya, feels like over paying a bit but if this break can make me pay more attention in my work and somehow help me go through my wedding next year. I think it can be worth every penny.

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
I don't know who booked you but ask more questions. If your here for a week . Get a condo . Good to some great Rest. Play golf at Plale Grande. Trust me your Steak will not be that great. Just a thought

I would've gotten a condo, if I knew I was staying here for such an extended period. But I guess I can always look for one or rent a apartment once I come back from state. And I haven't had time to learn golf yet, I just did not had enough time. I was just too busy chasing wrong women, and if I had extended off period I did travel. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.