Caves at Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
How far from the Ocean Dream junction are the caves and what are they like when you get there? We're thinking of going and were talking to a local couple who've not been yet. The lady is reasonably mobile but has had a hip replacement, so is the access reasonable or (for example) is it particularly slippery etc?

Lastly, is it recommended?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It is at the end of the main road in Callejon de la Loma...about a 5 minute drive...definitely a bit long for a walk.

The entrance fee is (I believe) 500 pesos/$15 IUSD

While it's not slippery, the steps and access points into the caves can be pretty tricky. But it is definitely worth it. The tour is about 90 minutes (longer if you want to swim in one of the natural pools...and very interesting, I believe all the guides speak English.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
for a person with a hip replacement, the swimming pool cave might be a challenge, but the rest of the park should be pretty easy..... its an educational tour as well and worth it

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
DavidZ's right about the cost (at least when we went a couple months ago). I would chime in that if your friend is nervous on regular stairs that she definitely will not be comfortable on the steps to most of the caves. They're narrow and uneven and were a bit slippery when we went. Not any trouble if you're active, but definitely watch your step! :)

I have to say that I've been caving/spelunking once back in the States and was expecting a bit more from the Cabarete caves. Though I'd recommend it for people who haven't done a lot of caving just for an afternoon diversion, it's not a "cave trip" like I was expecting. What we enjoyed the most was our guide's knowledge and explanation of the local flora and fauna. We learned quite a bit about local plants and customs just from speaking with him.

Have fun!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
When I did the caves about 5 or 6 years ago, we rode horses to get to the caves, and then had to climb down a ladder, about 50 feet long to get down into the caves. Someone who is not too steady on their feet would find this extremely challenging. Maybe they don't do the horses anymore but the climb down would definitely be a factor.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It's a nice side trip. If your not mobile it can be harder. I agree it's not a true caving experiance but still fun. We live here and have done it a lot with friends who come down. The steps are not even, so someone has to go first, if there is a person who has difficulty with steps. It's worth it. It's a small Park, but fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.