Availability of Contact Lenses

believer

Oct 12, 2005
Hi Again:

How available ar contact lenses.....any idea on the cost of glasses or eye exams or should we make sure to get that taken care of before leaving?

Thanks for any feedback

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sorry, can't remember the exact price but my contacts (night and day) are cheaper in poland. same goes for glasses (especially frames).
i always buy a supply when i go home - i use vision express and they always do my eye exam free (i spend hundreds of dollars in one go). they also have lots of special offers while in DR you get nothing for free.
i stock at home, and it seems that lenses/solution are even cheaper in the USA...
and, sorry to say it, i prefer polish doctors too...

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
We found a good eye doctor in Santiago - Jeannette Moronta at Montura Optical in the Plaza El Paseo on Ave. 27 de Febrero. Can't for the life of me remember how much the eye exam was.....but the glasses were comparable to what I would have paid in Canada. I did not get contacts because I have a good stock pile of them - but I can say that the price of contact solution here will give you heart failure! You might want to at least bring that with you if you can.

Reactions: AlaninDR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no free eye tests in uk now.....no idea why so many polish people go to the uk
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
i guess it's because they make in a week what people in poland make in a month :)
and lots of stuff (clothes, food, cosmetics) are cheaper in the UK.
now, believer, i think is canadian. i don't know if you have free eye exam with purchase of lenses/glasses there but the prices of lenses/glasses should be the same as in USA, no?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Optica Cibao on Metropolitan in Santiago is top notch.

809-241-2020 809-247-3800 Ask for Grance if you call. But not much English spoken.

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
I went to Optica Cibao as well, good doctors there. I think it cost me around $700 for the eye exam. Contacts are outrageously expensive here. I use Focus Dailies 90pk and I was quoted about $120, if my memory serves me, compared to $35 in the States. I just ordered my contacts online, faxed them the prescription, and had them delivered to my P.O. box in Miami. Much cheaper!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I use focus dailies. Order online from visiondirect.com. They arrive in 3 weeks and I have no trouble using a UK credit card for an American company (which you often do!)

Matilda

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
We found a good eye doctor in Santiago - Jeannette Moronta at Montura Optical in the Plaza El Paseo on Ave. 27 de Febrero. Can't for the life of me remember how much the eye exam was.....but the glasses were comparable to what I would have paid in Canada. I did not get contacts because I have a good stock pile of them - but I can say that the price of contact solution here will give you heart failure! You might want to at least bring that with you if you can.

That is so true.....

Last time I needed some it came to about $21 U.S. per bottle.
(That was about a tear ago)

That was a typo, but it sounded so nice.... "That was about a year ago".

Don SantiagoDR

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Contac Solution

I've been able to bring my solution from the States, or have friends bring me some when I get low.

But I've never seen it any stores here. If I ever had an emergency (knock the bottle off the counter and spill it, etc) and needed to buy some, where would I go?

Thanks!
~~anna~~

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I've been able to bring my solution from the States, or have friends bring me some when I get low.

But I've never seen it any stores here. If I ever had an emergency (knock the bottle off the counter and spill it, etc) and needed to buy some, where would I go?

Thanks!
~~anna~~

You will find a limited supply of solutions in some pharmacies, but you might be looking in 3-4 to find what you need. I wear RGP contacts and I have people mule solutions in, it's the only way. Unless you want to order online and have them shipped to a EPS, CPS etc mail box. I have done that with contact lenses and never had a problem.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Thanks!
~~anna~~

The same places you go to buy contact lens, Opticians.
No problems buying it in Santiago, as long as you have the gold to pay for it. ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Thanks!
~~anna~~

Do you spill the juice in the grocery store when you are thirsty and have no money?

believer

Oct 12, 2005

Would stock pile for sure but forgot about hers running out......there for my daughter and she has been away...we are leaving in a week....I'll call her right now and tell her to get on it.

Thanks