wood fired oven ( suitable wood for cooking)

mark7131

Nov 7, 2008
Hello everyone, I have a question related to cooking with a wood fired oven. I am currently living within the city of Santiago and I have just constructed a wood fired oven and I?m trying to get some information about what types of wood are suitable for cooking and clean burning because some such as pine, cedar and fur are not due to the fact they are filled with sap and other materials that would cause problems. Does anyone have any info related to wood for cooking in a wood oven?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Whoooey. First, no need to post the same thing in 3 different threads, bud. We-ll see it.

Cooking with wood. hmmm. Something only dominican campesinos or Italians trying to make high=priced pizzas do. Can-t cut wood in the DR without a permit or getting shaken down at the checkpoints on the roads coming from the west to the cities so can-t really buy wood to burn other than in a lumberyard. Try Ochoa in Santiago.

Saving wood from getting burned to heat ovens is why the DR government pays about half of the cost of the bottled gas everyone uses in their homes, so that fewer people go out looking for wood to cut and burn. there are usually trucks trolling the barrios selling carbon by the bag, so you could probably find that to burn, but even they will not know what kind of wood it used to be, before they turned it into charcoal in a pit out in the mountains.

Good luck. Maybe Nacional has some imported bagged charcoal if campesino carbon won-t work for you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sort of right and sort of wrong.

What you want is mesquite/cambr?n, or Le?a...if you go to bakeries and ask, they can give you the names of their suppliers--those that still use le?a for baking.

These are well-established people that work the dry forests of the Northwest Line, legally. With cheap propane they sort of died out, but you can probably find them if you ask the bakeries...the one on Independencia and 30 de Marzo or the one just off the corner of Duarte Park off Sol are two that come to mind, but there are tons of them..

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Also the main foremost fish place in Maimon ("Johnny's" or "Joans"), must have a good supplier of fire wood as they do all their fish cooking and frying on a 15' long fire place. Then of course, they may not use the kind of wood one would prefer for baking or BBQ-ing. Still, they may know something

... J-D.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Wood from an almond tree is an excellent wood for a hot, clean burning fire for cooking. There are almond trees everywhere on the north coast. You don't need to cut down the whole tree, just trim off some good sized branches, split them and let them dry for a couple months.