Question

bimmerman

Oct 27, 2008
Hi, wife and I are going to Ocean Blue in Feb 09 for 3 weeks. We are also seroiusly thinking about retiring in the Dominican Republic in 5 to 8 years from now and even sooner if things goes right. I want to go outside the resort to explore the nearby towns but the rental car rates are very expensive. Is there public transportation we could use in Punta Cana tothe area of Bavaro. Even going up to North coast like Sosua. We want to experiance the culture even for a little bit and even maybe check out some villas that are for sale. Can anyone guide me to how we could take public transportation otherwise we will go with the rental. Thanks for the help you could give us.

Feb 7, 2007
First of all, you want to purchase a villa but rental cars are expensive?

Ok, never mind...
you cannot get by public transportation to Sosua (and back) on a day trip. It involves a one day bus trek (each way). You might want to buy air fare from PUJ to POP (Puerto Plata) it's a about US$ 150 RT.

bimmerman

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks for the info but just to make things clear. Yes, I do want to buy a villa in about 5 to 8 years from now since I be retired and our bills will be paid off by that time. But today we have to watch what we spend and weekly rental rates are expensive no matter what. We saved to go on this vacation for some relaxation and to explore the DR to get a better idea what DR life would be in that short of time. Remind you, just a little idea not expecting to know 100 percent. No way to do that in 3 weeks. As of now, spending money is limited so all I was looking for was a cheaper alternative to renting a car. If there wasn't than so be it and I have no problem renting. But if I could use public transportation for less money than who wouldn't do that? I was just asking expats who was living in DR if there was a cheaper alternative since you live there and not me. Today like many others in the states do not have much money but for me I be almost debt free in 5-8 years from now and that's when my wife and I will move to DR or somewhere else and buy a house(villa). Until than I'm concentrating on saving money if I can. Sorry for this but made me a little upset for the remark you made but at the same time thank you for the info.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
hmmm...lighten up!! it was just an observation...

we used to take just like a worker bus that took us to Higuey, then from there you can take a more luxery bus to La Romana etc...other places! the worker bus is quite the experience, but soooo fun!!

Have a fantastic vacation!! ohhhh how sweet it would be to retire somewhere warm! May all your dreams come true!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the neg taking public transportation to travel the island would be that you depend at the visited areas on local cabbies, and taxis are really not a cheap way to go, but i assume you would need to be flexibel at the spots you visitto get around a area, to see properties or visit real estate offices aso. for such i would say a rental car is finally not more expensive and will keep you much more mobile.
the areas you will visit here are spread out, so you can not i.e. take a bus and arrive in punta cana and start to walk around, it would be much too far from one point to an other.
Mike

bimmerman

Oct 27, 2008
Yes you are right, I shouldn't took offense but he/she assumed that I was a rich American. Your responses is what I was looking for. Thank you very much and looking forward to exploring DR in 3 months from now. Thanks again.

Feb 7, 2007
ok, you may want to get some Spanish 101.
Rubio is HE
Rubia is SHE
and PLEASE don't take offense on this ... it's really meant as a friendly note

And I didn't assume anything, as Lupurr said, it was just an observation
AND I gave you some advice.... Caso Cerrado

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
bimmerman,
Rubio(Yes, his gals say he's a HE!!, lo) did sure not try to be offensive.
he is giving his great advices/knowledges on the bord all around on all themes.
sometimes we may sound a bit harsh at the first sight,
heck, we're all humans, good and bad days,
some more soft and some more straight on.
straight on is not always offense,
softy is not always week.
i for myself often even love to just hit in first and answer a couple of answers later.
sure when somebody talks 'i am looking for some real estate investments' everybody first thinks about somebody who thinks he has the big bucks and wanna spread some of 'em out somewhere, i have to say my very first look on the thread made me think similar, lol.
but now we're clear to each others,
and such is never a offense,
a offense would be a punch on the nose or a gun to the head,
we're in the tropics,
and life is soooo good.
enjoy the sunday everybody
Mike