Shots fired in Cabarete.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Four shots fired outside Bank Popular in Cabarete about 10 minutes ago.

No sign of anyone hurt, police have been and gone already after talking to the guard. At times like this I wish I could speak Spanish. Suddenly realise how sheltered my life is, I thought the first shot was a back fire... took until the fourth to realise... From what I can gather, the shots were from the guard, to frighten the bad guys away, who fled on a moto.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Someone needs to teach the guard "the rule of three".....first two shots into body mass (aim at the nipple line or between the shoulder blades) and the third to the head to guarantee there's only one story told.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Four shots fired outside Bank Popular in Cabarete about 10 minutes ago.

No sign of anyone hurt, police have been and gone already after talking to the guard. At times like this I wish I could speak Spanish. Suddenly realise how sheltered my life is, I thought the first shot was a back fire... took until the fourth to realise... From what I can gather, the shots were from the guard, to frighten the bad guys away, who fled on a moto.

I was there at 1... It closes at 1 no? Weird... I really hope that it will be a good tourist season, othervise it will be more desperate people doing desperate things. That said, all these hotels converted to condos (mostly empty) is not a good thing for the local business.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I just realized it's been a while for a report like this, has there been a decrease in crime in Cabarete?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think there has been a marked decrease in crime anywhere on the north coast - we would expect an increase at this time of year under normal circumstances. Factor in unemployment, smaller remittances and the ever booming drug business and circumstances are less 'normal' this year. I don't think people report every time they hear shots fired - I certainly don't. My post score would be...........a lot higher if I did :cheeky:. The important thing is for people to know what to do if the shots are fired near them.

Reactions: wishingiwasthere

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I don't think people report every time they hear shots fired - I certainly don't. My post score would be...........a lot higher if I did :cheeky:. The important thing is for people to know what to do if the shots are fired near them.

A first for me... and I didn't know what to do... more to the point, I realised as I was walking to look to see what was going on! *THINKS*...err.. perhaps walking behind a wall would be more sensible... which is what I then did!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Going in the opposite direction or hitting the deck is often a good move, too, depending on circumstances ;). And if you see police draw guns & aim away from your direction, don't assume they shoot straight..........just get away from the area quickly.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
A few years ago I was driving up Alma Mater from Independencia in Santo Domingo when three or four cars and a moto ahead of me all turned around quickly and started coming back down the street towards Independencia. I continued North and all of a sudden heard gunfire and saw a man with a pistol in the middle of street in a combat crouch with his back to me firing towards UASD.

I took a quick right and pulled up in front of the colmado nearby as dozens of students came running by. Several told me that the shooter was a cop.

The police were cleaning out the vendors from the intersection of Alma Mater and Correa y Cidron and several vendors resisted. It came out on the news that one was gravely injured from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Someone needs to teach the guard "the rule of three".....first two shots into body mass (aim at the nipple line or between the shoulder blades) and the third to the head to guarantee there's only one story told.
That should be the rule of 4. The 4th. shot being the warning shot fired in the air.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the guard sounds a little trigger happy...until we get more details about what sort of crime was about to be committed

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I don't think there has been a marked decrease in crime anywhere on the north coast - we would expect an increase at this time of year under normal circumstances. Factor in unemployment, smaller remittances and the ever booming drug business and circumstances are less 'normal' this year. I don't think people report every time they hear shots fired - I certainly don't. My post score would be...........a lot higher if I did :cheeky:. The important thing is for people to know what to do if the shots are fired near them.

I agree most residents don't get on DR1 and report every shooting. Drugs have increased here unfortunately.