Considering giving a college student a laptop

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We know a girl in POP who is attending college studying to be an accountant. My wife and I are THINKING of giving her a laptop. Her father is not around and she lives with her mother, 2 brothers and one sister. She is going to college and is the bread winner of the family. She is very bright, respectful and we think deserving of some help. Rather than simply offer to get her a laptop I thought I would ask on DR1 where I might get a deal (I'm a gringo so deals don't exist). I would think, but don't know, that she would need a basic software configuration, email, excel spread sheet, office, wifi etc. Any suggestion where we could get one and how much it would cost would be very much appreciated. OR should we consider getting one back in the states? Thanks for your help Phil

Feb 7, 2007
Get one from the states. Even after paying shipping and aduana in the DR the price will be much less than any deal you can work around here, on a NEW laptop.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
while for the basically purchase of a brnd new and up to date laptop i sure 100% agree with Rubio, i would consider the local line on that cae.
you don't need a brand new and state of art laptop for the above mentioned needs.
to get a good and suitable used one here of course needs some minor connections to the local community, where you live, how you live with the people aside your place.
i don't know where you live and how long you are here, how you are connected to your dominican neighbours aso.
for the dead of my former laptop i've been in the need of getting a new one quick, even when expensive, due to my work online on the streets, i got a brand new IBM Lenovo for 500 bucks in it's original box with all discs aso the next day, just by talking to some people at a local street restaurant the same day my ole one died.
talking a very good/resolving but used laptop i would say count on 10.000.- - 12.000.- pesos with the required office aso programs installed and that shopuld be found here in the country.
i don't think you can purchase and get equipped qand ship over to here a laptop from the US for less than 300-400 bucks(dollars now).
just my 2 cents
but may depend where you are located
and it of course depends how long/accepted you are in your local area,
otherwise i agree to the occuring gringo-rates
Mike

Feb 7, 2007

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great Phil,
the provider from the first link in my last post has it's delivery office in POP,
so you could step by and check them out yourself. no additional shipping/tax aso.
good luck
Mike

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Laptop

If you contact Joseph at Loase in Costamber he always has reconditioned laptops which are fully loaded with Office etc.

I can't lay my hands on his cell number but you can get him on 809 767 9911. Tell him John recommended you to him.

Good Luck

John

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I'd buy a refurb or special (old model) deal in the US.
As others posted, in a 300 Dollar range you should get a fairly recent and workable laptop. Make sure it has Windows XP installed, and Wifi would be nice too.
Some refurbs being offered locally still seem to have Win. 2000 which was a disaster and too old anyway... too many fairly basic things won't work!
Don't buy "used" (non-refurb). Laptops are difficult to work on and can get messed up pretty easily. Unless of course, it's from a trusted source and you can have the OS re-installed with all the original drivers (there is ONE guy who has been successful in doing that here in Sosua for less than 1000 Pesos (if you have the software), let me know if you need the address).
Download OpenOffice on it, which is a free version of MS' Office software (safe about USD 180.oo right there) and she will be good to go. If you need it, I have a PowerDVD program available for you... free! She won't need much more than a free AntiVirus or a subscription to one (USD 50.oo/years or less).
I think the problem remaining may turn out to be to keep it safe from her brothers.

... J-D.

Feb 7, 2007
I do not encourage software piracy, but there is a version of MS Office on the Internet called "Microsoft Office 2007 Blue" which is a manufacturers' release, it's a version pre-installed by manufacturers on computers, and it's a version Microsoft technicians use. Because it's not for sale, does not have a price tag, and does not use serial numbers, you are not using a pirated software. You can search for this on Search Files on Rapidshare, Megaupload, SendSpace, ZShare and file hosting websites - ShareMiner.com