US policy toward Cuba under President Obama

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
There is an interesting article on the MSNBC online news service analyzing the possibility of a change in US policy towards Cuba that suggests that the new President and Congress may lift the embargo. What do you think of the prospects of that happening, and what impact will it have on the DR?

Reactions: FernieBee

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
There is an interesting article on the MSNBC online news service analyzing the possibility of a change in US policy towards Cuba that suggests that the new President and Congress may lift the embargo. What do you think of the prospects of that happening, and what impact will it have on the DR?

Tourism will drop in the DR for quite some time. The US tourist will have alot of interest in going to Cuba. It's been forbidden for so long. The DR then may drop the high tax rate on the flights to the DR.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

It will be nice if Obama lift the embargo on Cuba, the people of Cuba are suffering NOT the government of Cuba.

No impact what so ever in the DR.

Bermuda, the Bahamas, The Cayman Islands, Cancun, Aruba, Puerto Rico and Barbado have NO impact in the Dominican Republic why should Cuba when the embargo is lifted?

If it going to have an impact it will be in every single destination in the Caribbean not only the DR.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
If it going to have an impact it will be in every single destination in the Caribbean not only the DR.

You are correct, I believe every single Caribbean destination will suffer to some degree. I have travelled to every island you mentioned above (including Cuba for over 3 months living in the homes of Cubans) and I will say hands down that Cuba is the most unique, diverse (not talking about politically) and interesting. There is so much to do and see outside of the typical beach and resort type vacation.
Its easy and safe to travel around the island, with various casa particulars that are very well marketed (and this will only improve if the embargo is lifted).
IMO Cubas unique culture and arts cannot be compared to any other Caribbean island, it is in a class unto itself!!!!!! This will be Cubas appeal, this will be its selling point! Cuba has some of the best artists in the world!

Niche travel is booming in the travel industry. Many tourists (especially those with money, are yearning for more than the typical resort vacation, waterfalls, snorkel, boat cruise, etc. things that you can do on any and every island....talk to the tour business owners in Playa Dorado how business has been on the decline over the years because how many times can you climb waterfalls and go on a safari truck tour before you get bored?). New and diverse is key. There is too much same, same, same on many Caribbean islands.
Many more tourists will want to be immersed in the local culture, exposed to the local arts and travel in a way that is unique and educational...and not just sit on the beach for their entire vacation.

Last edited:
Reactions: FernieBee

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002

Bermuda, the Bahamas, The Cayman Islands, Cancun, Aruba, Puerto Rico and Barbado have NO impact in the Dominican Republic why should Cuba when the embargo is lifted?

Wrong!!! These destinations were there before DR became one.

I agree, if Cuba allows investment incentives it probably would affect other Caribbean destinations. When DR became a destination it also effected the other Caribbean destinations.

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
You are correct, I believe every single Caribbean destination will suffer to some degree. I have travelled to every island you mentioned above (including Cuba for over 3 months living in the homes of Cubans) and I will say hands down that Cuba is the most unique, diverse (not talking about politically) and interesting. There is so much to do and see outside of the typical beach and resort type vacation.
Its easy and safe to travel around the island, with various casa particulars that are very well marketed (and this will only improve if the embargo is lifted).
IMO Cubas unique culture and arts cannot be compared to any other Caribbean island, it is in a class unto itself!!!!!! This will be Cubas appeal, this will be its selling point! Cuba has some of the best artists in the world!

Niche travel is booming in the travel industry. Many tourists (especially those with money, are yearning for more than the typical resort vacation, waterfalls, snorkel, boat cruise, etc. things that you can do on any and every island....talk to the tour business owners in Playa Dorado how business has been on the decline over the years because how many times can you climb waterfalls and go on a safari truck tour before you get bored?). New and diverse is key. There is too much same, same, same on many Caribbean islands.
Many more tourists will want to be immersed in the local culture, exposed to the local arts and travel in a way that is unique and educational...and not just sit on the beach for their entire vacation.

The DR is not just about Beach, sun and resort, on like islands like Bermunda, the Bahamas and many others in the Caribbean the DR can compete with Cuba in culture and arts too, if the government puts the effort.

Cuba can't compete with the DR in Eco-tourism, the DR has the higher mountain and longer mountain rage in the Caribbean, we also have the more rivers and longer rivers in the Caribbean, keeping in mind that eco-tourism is not that develop in the DR yet. Samana is not operating to its full potential, and almost nobody know about the natural wonders of the southern part of the DR.

The DR is more Bio-diverse than any island in the Caribbean, Cuba can be a bigger island but the DR is more diverse in every single aspect. We are competing with Cuba right now with the Canadian, European and South American tourist without problem, if the embargo is lifted now, and rush of American will flood Cuba, that's expected, but Canadian and Europeans don't have laws in their books telling their citizen that they can't travel to Cuba, and still the DR receive more tourist a year.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Any non-DR related posts involving Cuba will be deleted. So you better make sure if your going to post in this thread, it has lots of relevant DR content.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
DR can compete with Cuba in culture and arts too, if the government puts the effort.

If you travelled there you would know the difference.
And as I stated I have travelled to many Caribbean islands (and love the DR for what it has to offer) but trust me there is a big difference, and in that area there is no competition.

...'if the DR government puts the effort'..hahahaha
We all know the answer to that. So how is the DR going to be able to compete as the tourists wants change or to attract a different type of traveller who has the disposable income?

Alot of the appeal for the DR as a travel destination is its a budget travel destination. Thats how it is sold here in cold Canada. It is a cheap place to travel to compared to most islands so it will attract a certain type of traveller.

Unfortunately eco-tourism is not developed at all, so that is not the DRs selling point. Cheap resort packages is.
I wish the government would make it a priority....maybe after the Metro and when they fix the energy issues. Lets not hold our breath.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I personally would LOVE to go to Cuba without all the hassles.

I'd really like to go before the embargo is lifted and see and hear all that i have heard about.

I dont think it would effect DR tourism all that much. Only one (albiet large) country has an embargo on Cuba.

I was trying to do a Cuba trip a couple of years ago...and it is MUCH more expensive than doing the D.R. I am in indie traveler...but many americans like their A.I.s

I really am in hopes that Obama lifts the embargo!!!!! The US has open relations with other communist countries...why not Cuba? The cold war is over. I want a cubano cigar!!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
We all know the answer to that. So how is the DR going to be able to compete as the tourists wants change or to attract a different type of traveller who has the disposable income?

Alot of the appeal for the DR as a travel destination is its a budget travel destination. Thats how it is sold here in cold Canada. It is a cheap place to travel to compared to most islands so it will attract a certain type of traveller.

Unfortunately eco-tourism is not developed at all, so that is not the DRs selling point. Cheap resort packages is.
I wish the government would make it a priority....maybe after the Metro and when they fix the energy issues. Lets not hold our breath.
Some one needs to do his/her research. :surprised

1. The Dominican government has been implementing various incentives that has lead the current change in Dominican tourism, away from the budget mass market type to a more exclusive high income type of tourism. This change has been in the works for a few years now, to the degree that non-budget destinations like Puerto Rico and Barbados are now re-inventing their tourism strategies in order to survive the current threat the luxury Dominican tourist segment is posing to them. Laugh all you want, but the change is already occurring.

2. Eco-tourism in the DR is big business. I don't know where you got the idea that eco-tourism is not developed at all when the tourist industry of places like Jarabacoa/Constanza has eco-tourism as its bread and butter. Its an ever growing segment of the tourist trade, one that is currently growing.

-NALs

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
It will be nice if Obama lift the embargo on Cuba, the people of Cuba are suffering NOT the government of Cuba.

I am betting you have never been to Cuba. I have to politely disagree with you. Cuba will be number one, and the DR will be number 2. Literally!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Some one needs to do his/her research. :surprised

1. The Dominican government has been implementing various incentives that has lead the current change in Dominican tourism, away from the budget mass market type to a more exclusive high income type of tourism. This change has been in the works for a few years now, to the degree that non-budget destinations like Puerto Rico and Barbados are now re-inventing their tourism strategies in order to survive the current threat the luxury Dominican tourist segment is posing to them. Laugh all you want, but the change is already occurring.

2. Eco-tourism in the DR is big business. I don't know where you got the idea that eco-tourism is not developed at all when the tourist industry of places like Jarabacoa/Constanza has eco-tourism as its bread and butter. Its an ever growing segment of the tourist trade, one that is currently growing.

-NALs

Nals,
My research is 'actual real life experience as a traveller'. I have seen and experienced the differences with my own eyes. I am not basing my research on gov't talks and future projections.
Arts and cultural travel and ecotourism are great interests of mine.

I have travelled to the beautiful Jarabacoa/Constanza area....
But I have also travelled to Belize, Costa Rica and the stunning Dominica, etc. where ecotourism is much bigger and 'better' run business in comparison to that of the DR. Thats just the reality.

Barbados and Puerto Rico are much richer islands than the DR and those islands gov'ts are not struggling to come up with $200 million to pay their energy bills, educate their people, etc. basic infrastrucure problems.
With the recent big $$$$ in Punta Cana I guess you are more optimistic than myself.

It just saddens me because I DO see the 'potential' of the DR but unfortunately with the level of corruption in the gov't I am also realistic.

May 12, 2005
Robert is right. If this turns into a discussion solely on Obama and Cuba it will be closed very quick. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
If you travelled there you would know the difference.
And as I stated I have travelled to many Caribbean islands (and love the DR for what it has to offer) but trust me there is a big difference, and in that area there is no competition.

Let's take Mexico as an example, the DR can't compete with Mexico in arts and culture, but the DR still survive. Cuba can't compete with Mexico in Arts and Culture but Cuba still survive, once the embargo is lifted every island in the Caribbean will suffer, but i will say Jamaica, the Cayman islands and the Bahama will suffer more. Islands to the southen part of the Caribbean like Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago will suffer a lot more.

Eco-tourism may not be very develop in the DR, but once it's developed like in other islands, NO island in the Caribbean will be able to compete with the DR because they don't have the Bio-diversities that the DR has.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Nals,
My research is 'actual real life experience as a traveller'. I have seen and experienced the differences with my own eyes. I am not basing my research on gov't talks and future projections.
Arts and cultural travel and ecotourism are great interests of mine.

I have travelled to the beautiful Jarabacoa/Constanza area....
But I have also travelled to Belize, Costa Rica and the stunning Dominica, etc. where ecotourism is much bigger and 'better' run business in comparison to that of the DR. Thats just the reality.

Barbados and Puerto Rico are much richer islands than the DR and those islands gov'ts are not struggling to come up with $200 million to pay their energy bills, educate their people, etc. basic infrastrucure problems.
With the recent big $$$$ in Punta Cana I guess you are more optimistic than myself.

It just saddens me because I DO see the 'potential' of the DR but unfortunately with the level of corruption in the gov't I am also realistic.

The DR wouldn't have those problems if the U.S. government provide the DR with 25 billion dollars a year like it does to Puerto Rico (part of the U.S) in case somebody here forgot or it has the population of Barbados $280,000. Can you image the DR with just a population of 280 thousand people instead of the more than 10 million? so bad comparison.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
The DR wouldn't have those problems if the U.S. government provide the DR with 25 billion dollars a year like it does to Puerto Rico (part of the U.S) in case somebody here forgot or it has the population of Barbados $280,000. Can you image the DR with just a population of 280 thousand people instead of the more than 10 million? so bad comparison.

So the only solution to the DRs problems is for the US to give them money to solve it? Unfortunately this is the mindset that does not allow progress.
Cant sit around waiting for others to solve your own problems. Being Proactive is key.

And when you have the levels of corruption that exist in the DR population is not the problem either.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Let's take Mexico as an example, the DR can't compete with Mexico in arts and culture, but the DR still survive. Cuba can't compete with Mexico in Arts and Culture but Cuba still survive, once the embargo is lifted every island in the Caribbean will suffer, but i will say Jamaica, the Cayman islands and the Bahama will suffer more. Islands to the southen part of the Caribbean like Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago will suffer a lot more.

I disagree and I will agree with swooperman who said you have probably never been to Cuba.

Hopefully those who have visited both the DR and Cuba and therefore can make a fair comparison or judegement will post.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think everybody is assuming that the Cuban goverment will allow new development to accomodate the tourists. Remember, it is still a communist country where it's people have no voice in the policies of it's governemt.

However, if they actually do allow entrepreneurs to buy property and have their investments protected, it may have a democraticizing effect like in China.

If this happens, imo in the short run their will be a large exodus of Cuban professional to wherever anybody will have them. Over time, if the tourist industry is allowed to develop it should only follow reason that there will be more competition for the DR. On the flip side, who knows if the opening of doors will allow the DR to be a competitor for exporting goods to Cuba.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
So the only solution to the DRs problems is for the US to give them money to solve it? Unfortunately this is the mindset that does not allow progress.
Cant sit around waiting for others to solve your own problems. Being Proactive is key.

And when you have the levels of corruption that exist in the DR population is not the problem either.

NO, i didn't say that, you were comparing the Puerto Rico and Barbados with the DR, which neither have the population of the DR and one is heavily subsidized as a U.S territory.

I don't know what mindset you are talking about, with Dominicans have control of our future and take responsibility of our failure as an independent nation.