looking to buy condo in costambar

deepsea21

Nov 9, 2008
we are looking to buy a 2 bedroom close to condo lisa in costambar any body have one for sale or know of one please let us know thanks

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Think hard about this Costambar decision my friend. Cofresi or Puertro Plata are nearby and much better options IMHO.

People are literally walking away and abandoning places in Costambar because NO ONE but you wants rent or live there. Drive through (I challenge anyone to contest this) and you'll see AT LEAST 50% of all properties in Costambar (I think this is a very conservative estimate) are for sale-rent. If you do buy, offer 1/2 (maximum) of what they're asking price is, as I guarantee they're desperate to get out.

Allegedly the power plant shoots out some type of black soot that leaves a film across your swimming pool and your windshield every morning (imagine you and you family's lungs!).

Go there and you'll see what was once a thriving ex-pat community that now looks like a nuclear bomb was detonated. It's a wasteland, and as a guy who used to spend time there I was actively looking to buy recently and just couldn't pull the trigger due to the state of things.

It was sad actually. I showed it to others who thought I was exaggerating, they came, looked and they too were saddened by how badly it's fallen apart.

Ask yourself what is the value of a house next to a nuclear waste dump? If the answer is zero go look more closely at Costambar and see for yourself if you're buying paradise?

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Costambar is not as bad as mentioned by Mason, it is still a very quiet and relaxing place to live, for us full time residents far better than Cofresi, Puerto Plata or Sosua.
People come and go, buy or sell, just like anywhere else.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmm you can try offering half the price ...be prepared for them to laugh in your face though

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Ok, nuclear dump might be a bit much, lol.

Honest question, is it true that the power plant emits a black soot that residents find on their windshields and in their swimming pools?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
You may be a little late on the draw-that inquiry was 3.5 years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Ok, nuclear dump might be a bit much, lol.

Honest question, is it true that the power plant emits a black soot that residents find on their windshields and in their swimming pools?

Honest answer, not any more since residents of Costambar petitioned Media Ambiente to enforce tough emissions regulations on San Filipe. If you drive in the area you'll see white crosses painted on the road, these are used to test air quality.

Anyway 95% of the time the prevailing wind is up the valley over San Marco.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
deepsea

Are you wanting to live here or just holiday here?

Even if you're planning to live here permanently I'd caution against buying before spending at least a year - preferably 2 or 3 - renting to learn the area, which buildings to avoid, which management to trust & whether you can cope with the demands placed upon your patience by all the foibles of the DR.

If you're looking just to holiday here i have 3 words for you to consider
RENT
RENT
RENT.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
We have lived in Costambar for nearly 5 years now, and we are not snowbirds, we wouldn't consider anywhere else in this country.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Imho there are much better places to live and invest in. Take some time to get updated about the North Coast. Costambar isn't going anywhere. I wish you all the best, happy hunting.