La Cienaga in Cabarete residents asked to relocate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was just told by my step-daughter that she has heard from several residents of La Cienaga that they are being asked to relocate for some new project.

Has anyone else heard about this and the reason?
I suspect it might be the Cabarete bypass road.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good question on where they would go.

relocate to where? most of them can barely afford to live where they are.

I did ask some other people that live in La Cienaga and the consistent story going around seems to be that they will be moved to make way for the Cabarete bypass road. I recall a government plan to remove those living on government lands throughout the country, but in this case it appears to be the road work that is the motive.

I don't think anyone there actually has title to the land they live on because I think it is actually government land. Some living there are likely to be illegal Haitians. If anyone knows for certain about the land ownership there, please post that information.

Where they go will be up to the government if that is indeed the project.

thelady

Dec 16, 2007
Would the gov pay to have them moved to a new location or will they just end up homeless like so many others?
How soon would this be likely to happen ?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
at the risk of sounding stupid are there actually that many homeless people here - I know a lot are taken in by relatives etc - I see more actual homeless people in the uk and america sleeping rough with no homes

thelady

Dec 16, 2007
I guess that depends on your definition of a home, I see a lot of people living in places that I would have a hard time calling a home. I feel sorry for the ones who have so little and then to have that taken away as well would be very difficult.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what I can tell this is just a rumor

Would the gov pay to have them moved to a new location or will they just end up homeless like so many others?
How soon would this be likely to happen ?

While a number of residents there have said they have heard about the relocation, I am coming to the conclusion that it is still just a rumor.

When the government wanted the land in Sosua at El Tablon, they built housing for those residents in La Union near the airport.

When someone wanted the land just west of Kite Beach to be reclaimed a few years ago, they told people to get out quickly and very soon after that bulldozed all of the alleged squatters homes. It was ugly.

I cannot speak to the number of homeless people in the DR, but I bet a lot of those alleged squatters on the beach ended up in La Cienaga.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
When someone wanted the land just west of Kite Beach to be reclaimed a few years ago, they told people to get out quickly and very soon after that bulldozed all of the alleged squatters homes. It was ugly.

Indeed it was ugly. What I heard though they got a year notice. Btw, my MC-mechanic relocated to the curve just opposite of kite Club... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.