Just asking

LuisT

Oct 9, 2008
Is there a rule on how new a car has to be in order for it to be shipped? I heard that cars have to be at least in the 2000's to be shipped to RD.

Just Asking.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
There is NO RESTRICTION.........

on how long you need to own a car in order to ship it.............UNLESS, you are looking for some tax credit (ie: Dominican returning home after living in the US for so many years, or a NEW "Resident" bringing belongings over for their "move".........

You can buy a car today and ship it tonight if you want.............

I also believe that the limit was not 5 years but either 7 or 10............and even in that case I have heard of people bringing older cars than that and having to pay a 25% tax fine or something.............I am sure others on DR1 have this info and there is a lot of info here by doing a search of "car shipping".......

Last edited:

LuisT

Oct 9, 2008
Thanks, I will query car shipping and see what comes up. But, why the rules and taxes? What difference does it make how old a car is?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
The taxes...............

Thanks, I will query car shipping and see what comes up. But, why the rules and taxes? What difference does it make how old a car is?

.........are based on the value of the car..............and the value of the car is based on it's age and other factors............

.......The limitation of age when set into law was to try to decrease the amount of "junk" cars that were being driven around the DR...........

.........It was just a few years ago, that you'd have seen many more cars without doors, windshields etc..............