Looking (Shopping) For A Dog in Santiago

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hi,

I will be traveling to Santiago on a short trip later this month and a friend asked me to purchase a dog for her. She wants a little dog; the miniature chihuahua aka teacup chihuahuas. She heard from various Dominicans in NYC that they are way cheaper in DR, so as I favor I said I would bring one back if I find it. So my questions are: Where in Santiago can I find a reputable pet store/breeder that sells teacup chihuahuas? What is the ballpark price for this breed of dog? What type of papers are needed to bring them over to the US, and how long does the process take? I will be in DR for 5 days only.

Your advice is much appreciated.
Guatiao

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
P.S. I know about the controversies surrounding "teacup" chihuahuas, and the health problems associated with them, but people find them "cute." As a former owner of a "normal" chihuahua I know the delicacy one must have with them, so the most important thing is finding good responsible breeders.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Hi,

I will be traveling to Santiago on a short trip later this month and a friend asked me to purchase a dog for her. She wants a little dog; the miniature chihuahua aka teacup chihuahuas. She heard from various Dominicans in NYC that they are way cheaper in DR, so as I favor I said I would bring one back if I find it. So my questions are: Where in Santiago can I find a reputable pet store/breeder that sells teacup chihuahuas? What is the ballpark price for this breed of dog? What type of papers are needed to bring them over to the US, and how long does the process take? I will be in DR for 5 days only.

Your advice is much appreciated.
Guatiao

Why would you like to buy a dog in the DR if you can find hundreds of them in the street? maybe not Chihuahua, but a nice "vira lata" will do it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i hear that this shop is good:
happy pet
rep de argentina 4
santiago
809 241 9224
if they do not have doggies there they may be able to find you one.
not sure if pure breed chihuahua is cheap, thou...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive seen cheap ones for sale...but according to an expert friend of mine they were not good quality or pure bred (they used to breed them in the uk)