Dominican Butchers - not for the faint hearted

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I go to the butchers once a week to buy meat for the freezer inthe colmado. I used to go to Iberia or Jumbo but it is expensive and limited and often not fresh. For those of you who want good quality meat I recommend finding a good butcher. I can get lamb and goat at 85RD$ a pound. Pork at 55 RD$ and chicken at 38RD$. The meat is fabulous and so fresh it is almost killed in front of me. If the flies land on it it is good meat and you can have any cut you want - chops or ribs or legs of goat whatever. Here is a picture of outside the butchers. Please note the knife in the goats throat and the upside down pigs head. You can buy any part of the animal you want including tongue (i had a lovely cow tongue last week) and cow tail or kidneys.

2ag3xuu.jpg

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you but no. i pass a dominican carniceria every day on my way to work and the stench is pretty gross.
additionally there are two cats inside, i guess they are used s pest control as i often see them play with dead cucarachas...
now a german butcher is sosua - that's the real thing. expensive, yes, but best carniceria on a north coast!

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Matilda,

Where is that place located? Is there a simliar such place in the Sosua area that you know of? Thank you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is there a simliar such place in the Sosua area that you know of?

Go to the German butcher in Sosua, no flies and better cuts of meat.
On the touristica on the left 1/4 mile out of town going towards Cabarete.

Look for the sign that says "Bavaria".

thank you but no. i pass a dominican carniceria every day on my way to work and the stench is pretty gross.
additionally there are two cats inside, i guess they are used s pest control as i often see them play with dead cucarachas...
now a german butcher is sosua - that's the real thing. expensive, yes, but best carniceria on a north coast!

Tried his bratwurst, delicious

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Thank you for the info. I doubt the German butcher will offer those products Matilda mentioned at those prices...unless I'm mistaken?

I'm more interested in price rather than how long it's been since the meat was cut from the carcass and whether there's been a couple of flies on it...

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Great post, Matilda! I was laughing out loud at the remarks of wannabe Dominican ex-patriots! They will only buy meat from a "real" butcher, but never do they see what goes on in the back rooms of the butcher shop. I have held on to many a goat as it has had its throat slit, bled out, was skinned, and butchered. It doesn't get any better than that!
:laugh:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you for the info. I doubt the German butcher will offer those products Matilda mentioned at those prices...unless I'm mistaken?

I'm more interested in price rather than how long it's been since the meat was cut from the carcass and whether there's been a couple of flies on it...

I had the meat cut from the carcass within less than a minute!!!! And you can have any cut you like. Sorry I have no idea about Sosua. This was in San Pedro de Macoris. Try asking the Dominicans or maybe the restaurants!!

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Great post, Matilda! I was laughing out loud at the remarks of wannabe Dominican ex-patriots! They will only buy meat from a "real" butcher, but never do they see what goes on in the back rooms of the butcher shop. I have held on to many a goat as it has had its throat slit, bled out, was skinned, and butchered. It doesn't get any better than that!

I know it does make you think. I used to be the kind of girl who would only buy meat wrapped in plastic from a supermarket so I didn't have to think where it came from. And now look at me - watching animals slaughtered - cooking tongue - chopping up goats!!! Dear God. What this country can do to you! Give you a serious lesson in realism!

matilda

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
They moved there for the weather.....never thinking about the real cultural differences....

...much like those who move from the NE USA to South Miami.....and wake up to the remains (of chickens and goats) from the prior nights Santeria rituals.....

Nothing better than carne fresca!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Assisting with Tyson's er....... medicals..........:cheeky: well at least you didn't cook them.

hmmm. I didn't cook them but don't ask me what the bin men (garbage collectors/trash men) did with them after they had hunted through my rubbish (garbage/trash) !!!!!

Matilda

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I find this thread a little puzzling, I soon found here that the meat from the Dominican roadside butcher could not be fresher nor cheaper in fact sometimes it still trembled or was warm. It is, however, excellent for stews and the like. For roast, grilled, fried or any other kind of quick cook it was useless, You have to hope that a local supermarket or ex-pat butcher is in the neighbourhood who knows how to hang meat etc. The biggest problem we have in this area is that all the ex-pat butchers are French and they will cut off all the skin and fat!! The only other thing you have to watch is that the fresh meat from the dominican butcher is not from an animal that died overnight from something mysterious. In the little barrio where we live whenever they get a cows head we are always offered the brains - lovely. How long does it take anybody to learn this?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks Lambada I?ll try it. My usual dominican butcher is used to me asking for funny cuts of meat which aren?t just hacked off with a machete!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You get what you pay for or not

I find this thread a little puzzling, I soon found here that the meat from the Dominican roadside butcher could not be fresher nor cheaper in fact sometimes it still trembled or was warm. It is, however, excellent for stews and the like. For roast, grilled, fried or any other kind of quick cook it was useless, You have to hope that a local supermarket or ex-pat butcher is in the neighbourhood who knows how to hang meat etc. The biggest problem we have in this area is that all the ex-pat butchers are French and they will cut off all the skin and fat!! The only other thing you have to watch is that the fresh meat from the dominican butcher is not from an animal that died overnight from something mysterious. In the little barrio where we live whenever they get a cows head we are always offered the brains - lovely. How long does it take anybody to learn this?

Do not wait for the harvest to fall in your lap. plant your own seeds and enjoy the windfall.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007

You are soooooooooo right L.R. If only they could spend some time and see what goes on at Playaro (Sosua) abd Tropical (POP) when it comes to hygene and quailty control. 35 years in the trade I would close the butcher shops down in 2 minutes. To think people here in DR believe if they pay more then they are receiving only the BEST! :surprised