Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Butchers - not for the faint hearted

I go to the butchers once a week to buy meat for the freezer inthe colmado. I used to go to Iberia or Jumbo but it is expensive and limited and often not fresh. For those of you who want good quality meat I recommend finding a good butcher. I can get lamb and goat at 85RD$ a pound. Pork at 55 RD$ and chicken at 38RD$. The meat is fabulous and so fresh it is almost killed in front of me. If the flies land on it it is good meat and you can have any cut you want - chops or ribs or legs of goat whatever. Here is a picture of outside the butchers. Please note the knife in the goats throat and the upside down pigs head. You can buy any part of the animal you want including tongue (i had a lovely cow tongue last week) and cow tail or kidneys.

Matilda

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you but no. i pass a dominican carniceria every day on my way to work and the stench is pretty gross.
    additionally there are two cats inside, i guess they are used s pest control as i often see them play with dead cucarachas...
    now a german butcher is sosua - that's the real thing. expensive, yes, but best carniceria on a north coast!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    If the flies land on it it is good meat and you can have any cut you want - chops or ribs or legs of goat whatever

Matilda

Is that how to judge "fresh" meat in the DR?

Playero here I come

Regards

Reidy

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

flys land on crap does that mean its good?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Matilda,

Where is that place located? Is there a simliar such place in the Sosua area that you know of? Thank you.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SH6811 View Post
    Is there a simliar such place in the Sosua area that you know of?
    Go to the German butcher in Sosua, no flies and better cuts of meat.
    On the touristica on the left 1/4 mile out of town going towards Cabarete.

Look for the sign that says "Bavaria".

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    thank you but no. i pass a dominican carniceria every day on my way to work and the stench is pretty gross.
    additionally there are two cats inside, i guess they are used s pest control as i often see them play with dead cucarachas...
    now a german butcher is sosua - that's the real thing. expensive, yes, but best carniceria on a north coast!
    Tried his bratwurst, delicious

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info. I doubt the German butcher will offer those products Matilda mentioned at those prices...unless I'm mistaken?

I'm more interested in price rather than how long it's been since the meat was cut from the carcass and whether there's been a couple of flies on it...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Great post, Matilda! I was laughing out loud at the remarks of wannabe Dominican ex-patriots! They will only buy meat from a "real" butcher, but never do they see what goes on in the back rooms of the butcher shop. I have held on to many a goat as it has had its throat slit, bled out, was skinned, and butchered. It doesn't get any better than that!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent point, LatinoRican...that's why they call them "butchers"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast