Confiscating motorcycle

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hi,

2 simple (I think) questions which I can not figure out.

What is the penalty(minimum/maximum) for driving a motorcycle without a helmet on the head?

Is it legal, for not wearing a helmet, for the AMET (or PN or whatver organisation) to confiscate my motorcycle?

Thanks for your help.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi,

2 simple (I think) questions which I can not figure out.

What is the penalty(minimum/maximum) for driving a motorcycle without a helmet on the head?

Is it legal, for not wearing a helmet, for the AMET (or PN or whatver organisation) to confiscate my motorcycle?

Thanks for your help.

I was just pulled over and paid a quick "Propina" or fine on the spot to let me go. $RD 500

yes they can confiscate your bike until you show proof that the fine has been paid.

On Nov 15 the fine goes way up, read the Sosua news story

Sos?a-News

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
While you may want to go without a helmet and pay the "propina" you might want to think about using the damn thing.

A family member was killed 2 weeks ago when he was cut off by a car while riding his motorcycle, he landed on his head! After enduring 3 surgeries he subsequently died!

Put the damn helmet on your head!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I agree Planner. Helmets around arms don't offer much protection either, which is where the helmets are often seen. Put the damn helmet on your head ! is seconded.

Mar 2, 2008
Make that a third.

Even those fortunate enough to live after a severe head injury are going to have a rough time of it. I have worked with kids who have suffered brain injury, and believe me, it can be a long tough road to recovery.

Those with brain injury simply are not the same people they were before. Frequently, their temperament, personality, and ability to reason are impaired, quite often irreparably.

Anyone who knows anyone with severe brain damage knows exactly what I mean.

Protect that most important part of your anatomy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Fourthed.

Wear a damn helmet. Wear a damn helmet. Wear a damn helmet.

We REQUIRE helmets for our riders, period. We have DOT approved full-face flip-up helmets for our guests who don't bring theirs, and most serious riders do.

We also recommend an armoured riders jacket, minimum jeans (but preferably mesh and armoured riding pants/overpants) and tough shoes, preferably boots.

Dress for the fall, not for the ride. Besides the head, bare skin is no match for pavement or hard packed dirt.

Our Medical Director, Dr. Benjamin Estevez, has spent a lot of time in public hospital ER's, and he says that if moto riders wore helmets and didn't act the fool on their motyrsycyle, the really bad moto injuries would drop by 70%. Kinda tells you something.

Oh, and WEAR A DAMN HELMET!!!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
first of all:
i double everything said above, that's the only way.
a question of mine would be:
will they 'again' accept any kind of helmet(construction worker helmet, bicycle helmets aso) as a helmet or do the bikers finally have to buy a real bikers helmet?
when the law to wear a helmet been started to be forced for the first time(and also for a very short time period, sorrily) the police accepted anything as a helmet the bikers puted on their heads.
is it still the law that only the driver has to wear a helmet while passengers including smallest kiddies ride on the back or on the tank or in stupid mommy's arms without any protection?
use the damn real helmets
save ride everybody
Mike

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes.

Here in Jarabacoa they have been cracking down on non-wearing of helmets. Problem is there are 5 agents and 20,000 motos. Do the math.

IMO, they need to levy a fine AND keep the moto for a week on the first offense. two weeks on the second, and a month on the third...

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
A Saying

The price of the helmet should equal the value one places on the contents.
Not a piece of equipment to go cheap on.
And yes, Moto Caribe has thought of this.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
You have one of two options:

1. Wear the helmet (DOT approved) on your head as it was designed or;

2. Make sure you sign up as an organ donar!

The basic rule of thumb is, "without a helmet, you fall, you die." Save a life...it could be yours. Or at least donate your organs because your brain death could save someone else.