Death in the D.R.& Insurance

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
I have a couple of questions.If you are living there and Die there.Is there a Death Certificate that you get?How would Someone if they were the Beneficiary and they were Dominican collect the proceeds if they did not have a Visa and the Policy was drawn up in the U.S., and how could a Beneficiary in the Us collect If i was living there and died there?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I have often wondered.........

.......what a "mess" it must be in the DR regarding who is alive and who isn't......

A few years back a friend/employee of mine died at the age of 23 from no one knows what...............

.....they had a funeral and that was it........no paperwork, nothing was done...............

......I had obtained a US visa for him as an employee at the time and when I went to renew another a few months later, I brought the passport and visa to the US embassy, thinking that there would be something that was needed there too.

I explained it to the person at the window, they didn't ask any questions, no paperwork, didn't even want to know the person's name.........just took the passport, didn't open it, punched two holes in it and handed it back to me............

Death is certainly handled in a very different manner than in the US!!!........at least.....

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I have a couple of questions.If you are living there and Die there.Is there a Death Certificate that you get?How would Someone if they were the Beneficiary and they were Dominican collect the proceeds if they did not have a Visa and the Policy was drawn up in the U.S., and how could a Beneficiary in the Us collect If i was living there and died there?

First of all, foreign nationals who die in the DR must be autopsied by law (this is not a DR law but International Law to which the DR is a signatory and has ratified).
The autopsy will usually be performed at the Institute of Forensic Pathology in the capital, and a preliminary autopsy report will be issued almost immediately (depending on the need for toxicology tests etc., which may take a few days or a couple of weeks) stating the cause of death.
Death certificates and copies of the final autopsy report are obtainable from the Procaduria General.

Disposal of the body is usually carried out by the Blandino Funerary Services who will do all the necessary (including getting copies of the documents) to bury, cremate or repatriate the remains.

US insurers usually accept the certificates issued by the local authorities as proof of death. In specific cases, for reasons best left unmentioned here, insurers will request us to conduct an investigation to confirm the circumstances, cause of the death, verify documentation and records, and in very extreme cases to verify the identity of the cadaver, if buried in the DR.

Trying by all means to avoid the puns but not quite succeeding for all that, you may rest assured :cheeky: that the proper documentation is available and accepted by US insurers, although sometimes it may be a hassle to deal with.

PM me if you need any further assistance/information.

Bryan

Reactions: J D Sauser

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
First of all, foreign nationals who die in the DR must be autopsied by law (this is not a DR law but International Law to which the DR is a signatory and has ratified).
The autopsy will usually be performed at the Institute of Forensic Pathology in the capital, and a preliminary autopsy report will be issued almost immediately (depending on the need for toxicology tests etc., which may take a few days or a couple of weeks) stating the cause of death.
Death certificates and copies of the final autopsy report are obtainable from the Procaduria General.

Disposal of the body is usually carried out by the Blandino Funerary Services who will do all the necessary (including getting copies of the documents) to bury, cremate or repatriate the remains.

US insurers usually accept the certificates issued by the local authorities as proof of death. In specific cases, for reasons best left unmentioned here, insurers will request us to conduct an investigation to confirm the circumstances, cause of the death, verify documentation and records, and in very extreme cases to verify the identity of the cadaver, if buried in the DR.

Trying by all means to avoid the puns but not quite succeeding for all that, you may rest assured :cheeky: that the proper documentation is available and accepted by US insurers, although sometimes it may be a hassle to deal with.

PM me if you need any further assistance/information.

Bryan
Thank you Bryan and i will