Calling Claro cellphones from Skype

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm out of the country at the moment, so I have been using Skype-out on my computer to keep in touch.

When I call Orange or landline numbers it connects fine and is certainly a cheap way to communicate. However I seem to have a problem connecting with my friends on Claro. Every time it dials I get "number doesn't exist" message with four people all on Claro GSM phones.

I have reported the problem to Skype, but as yet not received a reply.

My only guess is that when the Claro cell number makes it's ring tone, Skype confuses it with a discontinued tone and raises the error. I had noticed before that Orange and Claro have different ring sounds when dialling. But like I said, it's only a guess.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

neftali50

Nov 11, 2008
As I know.. Skype use DGTEC (A dominican VOIP Services Company) for make calls here, but in in this year DGTEC and CLARO has legal problems. CLARO said that it's iligal the unlimited plan that DGTEC offer to his clients.

I don't know but I suspect that CLARO si blocking all calls that come from SKYPE becouse this call has to pass throuht DGTEC.

And INDOTEL (the FCC of DR) it's not doing much to resolve that situation.

That's the problem when a company as CLARO has a monopoly in a country.

Sorry for my english.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Check out the recent thread on this topic....

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/81452-dialling-829-cellphones-skype-any-solutions.html

I regularly recieve Skype calls on my Claro 829 cell phone and have had no problems. Dialling out on Skype is another matter, but you should find the answer to this in the other thread.

As a Claro user, I have experienced some problems calling other Claro users. I often have to dial the number several times before I'm connected.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've finally had an answer from Skype support. The solution lies within caller ID. You have to enable caller ID on your Skype-out account to be able to make calls to certain Claro cellphones.

I have done so and it's now working.

What a great invention the internet is!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I use skype all the time, I periodically receive false "non existent number" and "disconnected" messages from Skype, to numbers all over, not just DR. if I try from a land line the call goes right through. This is not a huge issue, only affects some numbers. (usually important ones though) I just make it a habit to call from a different phone before determining that a number is out of service.