Cashing in Canadian Traveller?s Cheques and Changing Coin

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
So, I have two questions?

1) Where can I change CANADIAN traveller?s cheques. I went to Ban Reservas and apparently they can?t do it, I went to Popular and there?s a special person that wasn?t there, I went to Association Cibao, and they couldn?t do it. What?s up with this_ And where can I change them_ (sorry for the bad punctuation, I?m in an internet cafe that has sketchy keyboards)

2) I also have about 30 Canadian dollars in coin, just loonies and twoonies, and no one will change it, could I go to a bank and get it done. Apparently, it?s worth less than the bill. Could someone explain this to me_

Thanks so much!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
1) Go to a CAMBIO (a private organisation normally that changes money into Pesos). If you are in the Santiago area I am sure there are many & locals will come on & tell you. MAYBE Caribe Tours exchange will do it. Take in your passport & any other identifaction stuff you have.

2) You WONT get coins from any foreign country changed here - Foreign Coins are not legal currency in the DR. Your best bet is to find a returning tourist & 'do him/her a good deal'!!

Good luck ~ Grahame.;)

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Where are you? If you are in Puerto Plata, I can help you out when I come down. I will buy them from you if you make me a good deal for the coins.

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
can you let me know what you got for the travellers checks at the cambio thanks, like how many pecos per hundred

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I couldn't find my own thread for awhile.

Thanks Bushbaby, I got my travellers cheques done at Scotiabank on Calle Sol in Santiago, after a ridiculous 20 minute wait "verifiying". NEVER again am I doing traveller's cheques, EVER!

Charlie, I'm in Santiago, so I won't be making it out there anytime soon. I'll just wait til my next trip home or something and I'll know better for next time.

I had traveller's cheques for a small amount (thank god after all that hassle for just $300CAD) and I got $4,237RD for $300CAD

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
That is not a good exchange rate at all. When I was down down there two weeks ago I was getting 27 pesos to the dollar for Canadian!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I had traveller's cheques for a small amount (thank god after all that hassle for just $300CAD) and I got $4,237RD for $300CAD

That is a pretty hefty 50% commission.
You may want to double check your receipt!

$300CAD = $RD8505

USD = 35 $RD
CAD = .8100USD

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I went to the Scotiabank...I'm almost in tears now reading this...did I get jipped at a legitimate bank??

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Also, if they did give me the wrong amount, is there anything I could do now about it or no?

A word of advice to you tk toronto (and anyone else thinking of changing currency) CHECK YAHOO CURRENCY EXCHANGE before you go to change your money!! It may not be an EXACT figure for exchange here but it WILL be in the close region (within a pesos max 2) of what you SHOULD get per Cdn $ or whatever!!

The bank teller could have made a mistake hitting '14.12' instead of '34.12' but he/she could also have spotted your inexperience & decided to make him/her self a little extra on the day! ALWAYS go in to ANY financial transaction with knowledge of what YOU should be expecting!!!!!

I would do the same in the US, UK, Europe ...... in fact ANY country!! ~ Grahame. :ermm:

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Hey all....

you may want to kill me, I just realized that I didn't cash $300 of my traveller's cheques, but only $150, so the amount was correct, I still have the other $150 to cash, they were lost in my wallet, so I assumed that I cashed them! False alarm! I'm sorry! Thank you so much for your prompt replies though!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I seriously hope your wife handles the finances in your household!
Your humorous point is well taken Tambo but I seriously doubt that this can be the case .......... tk toronto actually FOUND the Cdn $150 again!! No way a wife would let that happen :pirate: PLUS he probably wouldn't have been allowed the Cdn $300 in the first place!:cheeky:! ~ Grahame. :ermm: (about to get it in the neck Methinks!:paranoid:!:surprised!)

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Your humorous point is well taken Tambo but I seriously doubt that this can be the case .......... tk toronto actually FOUND the Cdn $150 again!! No way a wife would let that happen :pirate: PLUS he probably wouldn't have been allowed the Cdn $300 in the first place!:cheeky:! ~ Grahame. :ermm: (about to get it in the neck Methinks!:paranoid:!:surprised!)

Cover your back Grahame, she will no doubt sneak up on you when you least expect it and keep an eye on your favorite club and balls - she may try to damage them.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I took my mom once to Banco Popular to change some Canadians Travellers... they gave her the US exchange rate ... smart people yes...

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Hey, I'm a girl and I'm not married, I'm only 24 and sometimes quite irresponsible with money, which this false alarm has made me a bit smarter.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey, I'm a girl and I'm not married, I'm only 24 and sometimes quite irresponsible with money, which this false alarm has made me a bit smarter.
Sorry for the mistake tk - I don't know where I got the impression you were of the MALE gender!!

Not Married? 24? Have money to be irresponsible with??? You'll go down a BOMB with the Dominican lads then!! Be careful you are not irresponsible all in one go ;):cheeky::ermm: - enjoy the FULL variety that is available here!! ~ Grahame.

Reactions: FernieBee