Assualt and Robbery in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
Yesterday afternoon on the Panorama Road a Canadian student who was returning home to Panorama Village from his language school in Sosua was robbed at knife point.

His Yamaha Crypton was stolen, his backpack, cellphone and money. Luckily he wasn't seriously hurt and only sustained abrasions from falling off of the bike. The robbers are thought to be in Sosua abajo. They are Dominican, tall, white skinned, skinny with shaved heads. The motor bike has three metal Canadian flags on the body of the bike. Apparently there was a robbery in La Mulatta III the same afternoon where two robbers held up a woman at knife point in her home. It is thought to be the same men.

M

Markf128

Man, that is terrible. I hope the tourist season pickups up soon, so we hear less of this types of news

M

Markf128

Well, I guess I'm going to have to break it down for some folks. More tourists, more money and maybe more jobs in Sosua and therefore less crime. I could be wrong but that is the idea. Tu que piensas?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, I guess I'm going to have to break it down for some folks. More tourists, more money and maybe more jobs in Sosua and therefore less crime.

No, as AlaninDR said, crime always goes up in the 6-8 weeks before Christmas & usually reduces again in January. Sorry, Markf128, your explanation is too logical to apply here :cheeky:.

Aug 19, 2004
That's sad to hear :( Let's hope they find them and kill them.

Indeed it is sad but I would have expected a more appropriate response from a so called DR1 moderator. Who is reponsible for appointing these people? Does DR1 support mob rule in the Dominican Republic?

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
Indeed it is sad but I would have expected a more appropriate response from a so called DR1 moderator. Who is reponsible for appointing these people? Does DR1 support mob rule in the Dominican Republic?

London_Calling,

I find Robert's response more than appropriate, albeit slightly cynical. He is obviously trying to play down this case, which is 'nothing to get hung about', as the old Beatles song (Strawberry Fields Forever) says.

Mar 2, 2008
"Indeed it is sad but I would have expected a more appropriate response from a so called DR1 moderator. Who is reponsible for appointing these people? Does DR1 support mob rule in the Dominican Republic?"

Well, in this case, Robert happens to be the owner of DR1, so I imagine he appointed himself. But to the point, it's not mob rule, the police would be the ones doing the killing, so it wouldn't be considered a mob, per se.

Beyond that, if it were a spontaneous mob responding to a crime, it would probably be just as justifiable, if not more so. Mobs have a tendency to do the right thing, albeit perhaps a tad too expediently and emotionally.

With the police it is just business. If someone is working off the reservation, so to speak, the police have to clean it up.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
No, as AlaninDR said, crime always goes up in the 6-8 weeks before Christmas & usually reduces again in January. Sorry, Markf128, your explanation is too logical to apply here :cheeky:.

To me both of you are right. Crimes maybe goes up, but there are more people here so for us locals it feels like less... In low season the motoconios for instance need other sources of income.

BUT Cop Crime goes way up in December. It will be way more road stops between Sosua and Cabarete.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
any other incident unfortunately. let's not dwell on it. the canadian is ok which is good news considering the other way this could have turned out.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
Thank you for your replies of concern......no one has been caught as of yet, but the Panorama Security company owned by the Colonel, with Freddie Milz, the owner of Panorama Village, have gone above and beyond to catch the landrones. A reward has been posted, the security along the road has been increased, so that all can still enjoy it via walking, biking or on horseback.

faithie

Oct 29, 2008
Very scary & sad. But "Kill them".....?
I'm new to the board & agree with London, a highly inappropriate statement for a moderator......

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Very scary & sad. But "Kill them".....?
I'm new to the board & agree with London, a highly inappropriate statement for a moderator......
Welcome to DR1 faithie.
Stick with us a while & over time you will find which posts & posters to pay attention to & which ones to byepass. Often things are said here in haste - without due consideration & proper thought processes; therefore appear over the top. I think what Robert REALLY meant to say was ..... "I hope the police put EVERY effort in to capturing these perpetrators & then make SURE the LAW enacts the FULL force of the penalties available". KILL them is just a bit quicker to say!!

The DR AND DR1 are wonderful places to visit. Only those who integrate into the culture of each stay here for longer than a few weeks!! ;) ~ Grahame.

Reactions: wishingiwasthere
Status
Not open for further replies.