malt extract - homebrew

Popahora

Nov 2, 2007
Does anyone know if its possible to obtain malt extract in the DR, or are there any shops that sell home brew ingredients/equipment?
Thanks

track

Sep 6, 2008
Does anyone know if its possible to obtain malt extract in the DR, or are there any shops that sell home brew ingredients/equipment?
Thanks

That's a great idea. I'll bet you need a special permit for that from Police, fire stations, Sanitation, Local authorities, Unions, Food and Drugs, the Senator, The Congressman, The President and the local fish and worms.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
That's a great idea. I'll bet you need a special permit for that from Police, fire stations, Sanitation, Local authorities, Unions, Food and Drugs, the Senator, The Congressman, The President and the local fish and worms.

hey,
anybody called the fishermen??
what are you guys talking about?
not kidding,
i'm just stu.. and didn't get the point, i hate that.
what is that homemade brew??
Mike

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Homebrew is big in the UK where the government highly taxes beer, most supermarkets and ironmongers have such a sales section, for homebrewed just about anything, beer, wine from grapes and other things.If you come up against a brick wall Popahora you could always use the internet or contact the dominican firm which sells a malt drink - Malta something or other.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
Thanks

Years ago, I used to purchase the malt extract from a mail order in the US. I made 10 gallon batches of the best brew in town, and bottled it with a hand-held capping tool.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Brouwland

Try these guys
They are good and thier products are first class
I think they ship worldwide (including, even maybe, the DR)

Greetings

Johan

PS
sugar, water and some yeast for fermentation and a little distilation gives something drinkable

Mar 2, 2008
I make a mean homebrew in NH, but I'm not sure if the same ingredients would be available in the DR.

The water is also a factor; bad water = bad beer. Of course you could always use bottled water, but I wouldn't use anything else. Even boiled and filtered the tap water tastes bad.

As far as getting a license from the fishes, I'm sure Mike could arrange that. I don't know how many other hands would be out.

Popahora

Nov 2, 2007
thanks for the replies - I guess its not something that many do over here. I know I can order stuff from the states, but the delivery is going to more than double the overall cost - assuming customs allow it through!

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
You could always purchase a water distiller or heavy duty filter like a Berkey to get your water to brewing standards.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Down here in DR - what is the point of home brew - if you cant afford Brahma or Presedente you have not got enough money to live here anyway.
Now Guiness maybe!!!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I emported a brewing plastic contrainer and 10 chemicals, yeast etc. from a US supplier with no problem of customs. Once you are set up to produce local fruit/ginger beverages all you need to import is the yeast packs - possibly p metabislphite, claarifiers, citric acid, yeast nutrient etc. These are lightweigth. I was told that if you do not try and sell it there is no problem because brewing some types of beer in local villages is a tradition. There is a rumor that there is a local still......

pi2.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
The company that uspplied me ww.barryfarm.com supplied a recipie handbook that listed over 1oo tested recipeis. Pineapple is good.
Also recipes on the web.
No commercial connection with the company.
Must try honey mead with local honey!
If someone has the energy and capital a local honey mead could, in my opinion, find a niche market.
cassava-based beer is big in Africa and has a tradition in the DR.

SABMiller brews up plan to rival African moonshine - Telegraph

pie
pi2.