Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trojan Batteries Life Expectancy

Input anyone?4 batteries going on year 4 in a good sector electricity wise (USUALLY minor black outs).How many more years can these things last?Well maintained I should add.
    Thanks ECM

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastmike View Post
    Input anyone?4 batteries going on year 4 in a good sector electricity wise (USUALLY minor black outs).How many more years can these things last?Well maintained I should add.
    Thanks ECM
    It depends on the usage.
    When you have no power, how much power do you consume?
    Water, do you add water to them every 6 month more or less?
    How clean are the contracts, pole?
    Have you tested the battery bank? ( Turn off the input power, let the inverter work, check and see if the voltage on the batteries drop or not.)
    Do you equalize the battery bank every year?
    Do you have heavy loads, Refrigerator, pumps?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

As I said...........Well Maintained.No heavy loads.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

As I said...........Well Maintained.No heavy loads.
    Have you tested the battery bank? ( Turn off the input power, let the inverter work, check and see if the voltage on the batteries drop or not.)

Or just see how long it takes the inverter to cut off power, 8 batteries, should run with little load, 5 flourecent lamps ( 100 Watts) , about 4 days.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a volt meter.The voltage goes down slowley during a blackout as expected.Let me phrase my question a little differently.How about just shouting out how many years ones Trojan batteries have lasted?Im aware of all the variables that go into battery life.
    Thanks again

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a volt meter.The voltage goes down slowley during a blackout as expected.Let me phrase my question a little differently.How about just shouting out how many years ones Trojan batteries have lasted?Im aware of all the variables that go into battery life.
    Thanks again
    10 years, using an old Trace 612 Inverter, inspected every 6 month, cleaned and low controlled use, changed because the bank only lasted 4 hours out of 2 days.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not so much a matter of years but cycles. If your batteries never get below 50% charge they could theoretically last indefinitely but then the plastic and metal parts would decay and that would be a seperate factor. (I've heard rumors of people getting 15 yrs plus this way - nothing substantiated)

I am in my 4th year with a 12 battery bank, used to be 16 but I haven't been real regular with maintenance and some of them dried out and had to be removed.

I do suspect that if I bought new batteries my power bill would drop.