Real estate santo domingo!

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Will real estate prices ever drop in the affuent areas in DR in nSantaogo Santo domingo, Sosua or Puerto Plata?

I have watched the prices in Santo domingo and see no depriciation at all!

I would think it would be just a matter of time before they go down 20% maybe I am wrong?

Please give me insight..

Thanks

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Give it time....once SELLERS realize the global economy has crippled the tourist/gringo industry for at least the next 3 years....and Cuba opens to U.S. travelers (will happen under OBAMA), DR housing prices will drop....but then so will the DR economy....

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
One Dominican developer I know raised his prices recently since his sales were down and he explained it like this "If I'm selling less units I have to make more money per unit."

How do you argue with that logic? lol

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
One Dominican developer I know raised his prices recently since his sales were down and he explained it like this "If I'm selling less units I have to make more money per unit."

How do you argue with that logic? lol

You always know when a restaurant here is about to close down, they raise the prices. They try and milk the last peso out of any sucker they can find.

I guess they apply the same logic to real estate :)

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
You always know when a restaurant here is about to close down, they raise the prices. They try and milk the last peso out of any sucker they can find.

I guess they apply the same logic to real estate :)

I agree. It does not make sence to raise prices because less people are buying hoping that you then can make up for the lack of volume. I think prices will drop soon.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think that first, we need to look at markets like Santo Doming and Santiago, then most of the non-Coastal rural areas and finally the Coastal areas from a different angle. They are not comparable and their prices will react differently to external fluctuations.
If you do compare prices in Santiago and Santo Domingo with prices in Sosua, Puerto Plata, Boca Chica etc... you may find that big city prices are surprisingly more "reasonable" than in small Coastal towns which besides the promise of a glimpse at some "sea view" don't offer much of an economy and infrastructure. The concept of value versus only plain asking price may come to mind.
Santo Domingo down town (Poligono) as well as a limited stretch of the Malecon have in the recent years seen tremendous appreciation, mostly driven from new riches and business and also old money getting into the hands of more "hip" and aggressive heirs. Juan Dolio, in my opinion may be seen as a side extension of that market and I think that these markets may find themselves less affected by the word crisis we are seeing unfold, as there are a lot of BIG fish which have enough money to hold thru for a couple of years.

Punta Cana and Casa de Campo of La Romana certainly are a mix of the above and foreign money. Yet the foreign money, again comes from a small group of people, and while these developments may seem impressive, compared to the many, many developments of these sizes and standing... they're just a blip on the regional (greater Caribbean) map.

What really ought to worry some I think, is the situation in small towns along the Coast which really offer little or no economy or sizable business opportunities and have minimal or deficient infrastructure. These locations have profited over the last 5 to 8 years of a huge excess of cheap money available paired with a spending craze, not only in the US, but Britain and to some extent in Canada. It would seem obvious to most now, that this trend has not only stopped but reversed. Meaning, that not only will the buying pressure decrease, but that many who have "invested" here, using money from their equity in homes that have peaked in price about 3 to 4 years ago, now will need to get that money back home to save their homes or lifestyle.
Just as this market was driven by gringos gone wild, it will be buried by them too.
Some of this may go into history as a "healthy" and needed "correction", then when we compare prices of some of the real estate offered with what could be gotten for a comparable sum of money in locations like Florida (which makes up for a good example for it's climate and beaches and abundance of palm trees, but boasts a real infrastructure and still today "an economy"), most will probably at least have to ask themselves what they are getting into when buying a property of questionable qualities in the midst or at least surrounded by a problematic neighborhood.
On the other hand, let us not forget, that I huge number of people offering their property for sale, are not really in the business of selling but just fly a kite in the hopes to fulfill their version of the "American dream", which is to reel in a blindfolded gringo and get the better of him.

Hispanics are not the quickest to read the numbers on the walls and they can be awfully obstinate in their believe that they are born with a God given right to enjoy a constant rain of money. So, as posted, they actually believe in marketing moves like raising the prices in times of falling demand, which will however only make the final fall so much steeper.

Look at Spain! Same scenario.... and yet a country with an ECONOMY, when compared with the DR. But just as the DR, it's booming part of the real estate market depended from foreign investment. Then, the German, the Dutch and Swiss and finally the British had to retract and now, the housing, especially along the over decades so much appreciated Mediterranean Coast is in the cellar, and now expected to stay there for at least 3 to 4 years to come.

Just some thoughts... J-D.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the beauty of real estate in the DR, NO TAXES!!!!!.........and with most property owned outright, no mortgage, it is possible to hold on forever. why sell DR real estate? are you gonna put the money in the stock market? bank?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Taxes

the beauty of real estate in the DR, NO TAXES!!!!!.........and with most property owned outright, no mortgage, it is possible to hold on forever. why sell DR real estate? are you gonna put the money in the stock market? bank?

Dont be so sure about the no taxes part. The DGII are getting more efficient regarding collecting the transfer tax from people who sell to a third party and also the capital gains tax. Read Guzmans thread on taxes and you will see that there are taxes related to owing real estate. They are just not being collected aparently that effectively yet.