Current Small Hotels in Samana

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Saludos!
I am trying to find an inexpensive hotel in the town of Samana. I just found out Hotel Tropical Lodge is closed and the larger Hotel Bahia Principe of Samana is under renovation.
Can someone recommend something that might have a pool, air-conditioning, view of the bay, and clean?
I hear that Hotel Chino is new (no pool) and if someone has any info that would be appreciated.
Gracias.
Paul Gerace

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I found it to be feast or famine in Samana (but I'm not expert) with Bahia Principe and then a huge drop off. I thought Bahia Principe was overpriced for what they provide (no problem paying their rate if they provide equal value in return, but they don't, they're just another AI. Instead I stayed at the Cabanas something or another on the road leading up to Bahia Principe. It's on the right hand side as you head up the hill and while it had no pool it was quiet (very, very quiet, I was the only guest quiet), clean and fairly priced (I forget the exact amount but I want to say RD$1200) and I didn't even haggle with them.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Saludos!
I am trying to find an inexpensive hotel in the town of Samana. I just found out Hotel Tropical Lodge is closed and the larger Hotel Bahia Principe of Samana is under renovation.
Can someone recommend something that might have a pool, air-conditioning, view of the bay, and clean?
I hear that Hotel Chino is new (no pool) and if someone has any info that would be appreciated.
Gracias.
Paul Gerace

Hi Paul,

With Tropical Lodge closed for tourism, all other non AI inclusive hotels in the city of Samana are with no pool or on a busy street. About Chino, never stay there, had a good Chinese dinner, inquired about rooms, and I recall something as $30-$40 per night, basic double. I visit Hotel Docia, who is located under Chino, across from "La Churcha", the rooms where clean and basic simple, when I visit the owner and a helper were scrubbing and bleaching the corridors floors.
I found a alternative "Casa de Huespedes Tony" up on the hill, with 2 bdrm apts A/C, quiet street, terrace with a great view of the port, no pool, for $40/night in off season, stay a week and was one of the cleanest places I ever sleep in D.R.
Do a search on "Casa de Huespedes Tony in Samana", might came with the ph#, if not go to samana.net is listed there. The lovely old lady who own the place speak Spanish only.

Good luck,

WebDev

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Thanks Mason3000 and WebDev. I am hoping to spend some time walking around town and knowing the people and also taking some day trips to nearby beaches. I have already been to playa rincon and cayo levantado. Hopefully I'll find a few others.
Paul

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
In Samana I stayed last week at Hotel Leidy, on Ave. Maria Sanchez (tel: 809-538-3315/3023); clean and friendly; price at 500 pesos, for a large room, hot and cold water, cable etc. - no pool though; but very clean and friendly - in the same street are three other hotels/pensiones, all at a price of 500-600 pesos;

Chavela

Feb 29, 2008
Hi Does anyone know of a Hotel w/ a pool in Samana City--was just there and stayed at Samana Spring----CLEAN<CLEAN<CLEAN!!! Owner is great too --Jose--speaks english too--very nice!!! It's on Calle Cristobal Colon---across from the pizza place.809-235-9677--35.00us--It doesn't have a pool.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced hotel in Samana City w/a pool--30-45 us a night--Thanks!!!

hedlykarok

Mar 3, 2005
www.latinamericanlady.com
No pool

but I always stay at Bahia View, behind the circle right before the malecon.
It's been 2 years, so the new amphitheater (or whatever it is they were building) i'm sure has eliminated the view by now. Clean rooms, nice people, about $600 peso/night.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
The bahia view has improved vastly in the last 4 months. There were a couple of real goof offs running it. I should know I have the Restaurant on the first floor below them. There was a big problem with water filtering down into my rest. from their rooms last year so the owner of the hotel fired the couple running Bahia View even though they are family. The new guy is named Domingo and from what I see he is a good class act. Note that I haven't stayed in their rooms or dealt with him as a client. Just commenting on my observations from the outside.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I just checked the prices at Bahia View and they now range from 1,200 to 1,800 pesos. Each of the 9 rooms are different and has a unique price.