Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
hi all i read alot of funny stuff on here
and i see alot of words i dont understand or know the meaning for

tigre?
expat?
gringo?

there are quite a few more but i dont remember what they are at the moment

would someone care to give the definition of these terminologies?

forgive my lack of undersanding

thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tigre is actually 'tiguere' - can just mean guy in Dominican slang, but more specifically a street guy, or even a criminal.
Expat is short for expatriate, a person who lives in another country by choice. Not like an immigrant, but someone who chooses to live in another country for lifestyle rather than economic/political reasons and does not always mix or integrate with the locals.
Gringo is slang for foreigner. In some countries it means specifically someone from the US, in the DR and others it is used for all North American/northern European foreigners.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you can usually tell what the word means from the context it is used...does anyone else find it annoying when people drop in a spanish word when they are typing en ingl?s

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
thanks very much for that info
what about
Bruga or bruja ?

Maybe you mean Brugal?

It's a Dominican Rum brand.

Like Quirimoya said Bruja is a Witch, but i doubt you ever read the word BRUJA in this forum so it must be BRUGAL.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
you can usually tell what the word means from the context it is used...does anyone else find it annoying when people drop in a spanish word when they are typing en ingl?s

There are some Dominicanismo ""Dominican usage of words"" that it's better NOT translate it in English, like: TIGUE, TOCAYO/A, PALOMO/A, CHOPO/A .

If the conversation is about Canada, The U.S.A or England you won't see word in Spanish mix with English but it's inavertable in a DR conversation.

I hope that help.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i was thinking more along the lines of mi novia or mi esposa appearing in English sentences....it makes my teeth grate

Mar 2, 2008
does anyone else find it annoying when people drop in a spanish word when they are typing en ingl?s

jr, how does one explain about consulting a bruja over a Brugal while being molestado by tigueres, without using those words?

Oy vay!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I consulted a witch over a bottle of rum whilst being bothered by a rogish fellow ?

Whilst something is generally "lost" in translation, you seem to have done a great job;)!

But "rogish fellow" just sounds too polite when a "tiguere" comes to mind.

Jaw still clenched?? lol

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
does anyone else find it annoying when people drop in a spanish word when they are typing en ingl?s

jr, how does one explain about consulting a bruja over a Brugal while being molestado by tigueres, without using those words?

Oy vay!

When writing, choose a different font for that foreign term; some people use quotation marks.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Back to the OP's second question, bruja and brujita, like many other seemingly negative words, are used pretty often between Dominicans as a sort of nickname. Ive never heard it in a negative way as you'd use it in English.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Back to the OP's second question, bruja and brujita, like many other seemingly negative words, are used pretty often between Dominicans as a sort of nickname. Ive never heard it in a negative way as you'd use it in English.

A positive way they use it in the D.R. is to say someone is clever

Status
Not open for further replies.