Long lines at the Bank!!!!!!!!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
What is the deal with the Banks here in the DR??? Everytime I go into Banco Popular, there's a line that stretches out the door:tired: What are these people transacting? Deposits? Withdrawls? who knows! I mean everybody from all walks of life was in there, even a small 12yr old haitian boy wanted his turn in line, hahahaha.

Now the same motoconchos who never ever have change for a RD500 are seeing the tellers with stacks of 1,000 & 2,000 pesos notes. What gives??

Where's my plane-ticket??????

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Try another bank.

Banco leon or lyon in Sosua never has a line and you just walk up to the teller and your gone in 60 seconds. I just pay my satellite bill there but am planning on opening an account there because Banco Santa Cruz is also very slow.

When there is no line in Banco Popular the tellers respond even slower so either way you are there way too long.

It may be Popular for the locals but not for me!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you hit the bank around the 15th or 30th, then you find those people that get paid twice a month cashing checks etc. Best to avoid the banks around these dates.

Those motoconchos are more than likely messengers. I have seen them deposit some insane amounts of money. The guy earns RD$6-10k monthly and is running around with RD$100k + of some businesses money... :)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
They are there for the same reason you are...Why not use Internet or Telebanco instead. I can't remember the last time I had to go into the bank to do any transaction.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
some locations, like the one by central part in puerto plata are always lined up, the one at jose luis is usually better

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
They are there for the same reason you are...Why not use Internet or Telebanco instead. I can't remember the last time I had to go into the bank to do any transaction.

I already lost my bank card via the ATM, something about "Russia Card Compromise". Possible fraud transaction with my bank card, who knows? So they cancelled my card and mailed me a new one in NY, nice, thank you, but I am here in the DR.

Don't want to lose another one, so the tellers and long lines I go.:classic:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
So True

Electronic banking is the way to go or use ATM's. Never had a problem in years at Scotiabank, regardless of all the stories on message boards and they are free with a Bank of America card, as stated numerous times in other threads. If you're here in the DR have the card sent to you!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Scotiabank deal with Bank of America is great. I know a bunch of people living here that take that route.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I consistantly get as good as the best "street rate" from Scotia Bank's ATH via my Bank of America account, and never a fee.

Call Bank of America before you travel with a heads up, they will shut down the card after the first transaction out of the USA!

B of A "Debit Card " security.
(770)491-4064

tambo'

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i use a simple mastercard related to a german euro account and the ATM card of my dominican pesos account here. for the german euros and the dominican in pesos and the dominican in US$ accounts i use the computer/online banking to move the money from one account to an other where needed. when i make cash deposits which for above mentioned reasons i do not on the days 14th-16th nor 29th-2nd of each month, very rare to find a long line lately at the BHD in bavaro.
the banco popular offices in the area are always full when walking by.
switch to an other bank.
Mike