Thread: Patrona?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Patrona?

My sister-in-law and I were out the other day and a vendor greeted me with "Senora" but my SIL (who is older than I am) as "Patrona". She later asked me what it meant and as it was said very politely I told her that my best guess was it probably translated as a respectful way to say "ma'am" or suchlike. I've since done a search here and a google translation but with no luck, other than the usual definition of "patron". Is this a Dominican term used for older women? It was the first time I'd heard it.

Thanks!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes patron is the same word in English and Spanish, but in Spanish the substantive need the letter " A " at the end for female person.

Patrona = respectful form to call the owner of the plantation in the past time.

Patron Santiago = ( gentleman ) settler of Santiago city.

Patrona de la Altagracia = This is the Virgin that represent the Dominican catholic church.

JJ.

Snap!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    Patrona de la Altagracia = This is the Virgin that represent the Dominican catholic church. JJ.
    Actually, La Virgen de la Altagracia (aka Tatica) is not the patron saint of the DR, she's the Protector (La Protectora). The patron saint is La Virgen de Las Mercedes.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It also could mean Patron Saint, protector, boss, or someone who is your guardian.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Representative catholic church virgin of the DR is " La vigen de la Altagracia " but she also is " patrona " of Higuey church ( La basilica ).
    Virgen de las Mercedes is " patrona " of La vega church ( Sato cerro ) where she appeared during the last bottle batwing Spaniards and Indians.

JJ.

Snap!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    Virgen de las Mercedes is " patrona " of La vega church ( Sato cerro ) where she appeared during the last bottle batwing Spaniards and Indians. JJ.
    Batwing?, I've seen batwings depicted on Satan, but never on Our Most Holy Virgin Mary, Mother of God. Again, La Virgen de la Altagracia is officially the Protectoress ("La Protectora") of the DR, while La Virgen de Las Mercedes is officially the Patroness ("La Patrona) of the DR.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Batwing?

I am sure Bachata meant "'between' Spaniards and Indians", and was not referring to any depiction of the virgins or demons.

Anyway, I will leave the debate about virgins to others, but I am interested in the titles 'patron' and 'patrona'. Are they earned titles, or are they simply attached to a name as a sign of respect? Is there a certain age that is associated with the title, or is used when addressing a respected person of any age?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I made a mistake. I was trying to say ‘between’.

The word ‘Patron’ primarily means ‘Boss’(Jefe)

Other uses:
    A-Sales people frequently use it when they are trying to sell merchandise to the store owners or maybe the public in general (I was a salesperson for 15 years)
    B- It is used by sons & daughters when they refer to their moms (patrona) or dads(patron)

It is a way of showing respect & also trying to look good (caer en gracia) in the eyes of that person.

It has no age, you may use it to address anyone. However ‘Don’ or ‘Dońa’ is more often used to address older people, it shows respect.

JJ.