Patrona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
My sister-in-law and I were out the other day and a vendor greeted me with "Senora" but my SIL (who is older than I am) as "Patrona". She later asked me what it meant and as it was said very politely I told her that my best guess was it probably translated as a respectful way to say "ma'am" or suchlike. I've since done a search here and a google translation but with no luck, other than the usual definition of "patron". Is this a Dominican term used for older women? It was the first time I'd heard it.

Thanks!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes patron is the same word in English and Spanish, but in Spanish the substantive need the letter " A " at the end for female person.

Patrona = respectful form to call the owner of the plantation in the past time.

Patron Santiago = ( gentleman ) settler of Santiago city.

Patrona de la Altagracia = This is the Virgin that represent the Dominican catholic church.

JJ.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Representative catholic church virgin of the DR is " La vigen de la Altagracia " but she also is " patrona " of Higuey church ( La basilica ).
Virgen de las Mercedes is " patrona " of La vega church ( Sato cerro ) where she appeared during the last bottle batwing Spaniards and Indians.

JJ.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
Virgen de las Mercedes is " patrona " of La vega church ( Sato cerro ) where she appeared during the last bottle batwing Spaniards and Indians. JJ.

Batwing?, I've seen batwings depicted on Satan, but never on Our Most Holy Virgin Mary, Mother of God. Again, La Virgen de la Altagracia is officially the Protectoress ("La Protectora") of the DR, while La Virgen de Las Mercedes is officially the Patroness ("La Patrona) of the DR.

Mar 2, 2008
Batwing?

I am sure Bachata meant "'between' Spaniards and Indians", and was not referring to any depiction of the virgins or demons.

Anyway, I will leave the debate about virgins to others, but I am interested in the titles 'patron' and 'patrona'. Are they earned titles, or are they simply attached to a name as a sign of respect? Is there a certain age that is associated with the title, or is used when addressing a respected person of any age?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes I made a mistake. I was trying to say ?between?.

The word ?Patron? primarily means ?Boss?(Jefe)

Other uses:
A-Sales people frequently use it when they are trying to sell merchandise to the store owners or maybe the public in general (I was a salesperson for 15 years)
B- It is used by sons & daughters when they refer to their moms (patrona) or dads(patron)

It is a way of showing respect & also trying to look good (caer en gracia) in the eyes of that person.

It has no age, you may use it to address anyone. However ?Don? or ?Do?a? is more often used to address older people, it shows respect.

JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.